Scorpions bought down to earth by Hawks

By Ian Golden at The Gnoll
South Wales Scorpions were brought down to earth by a rampant Hunslet Hawks side who showed why they are favourites for promotion.
The home side were two tries down at the interval but, despite an early try in the second half, the Leeds-based side dominated.
Scorpions should have actually taken the lead but Christiaan Roets was denied an early try following a controversial off-side call.
From the penalty, Hunslet worked their way upfield and took the lead. David March was held up over the line but from the next tackle, Richard Chapman went over the line. Richard Knight converted.
There could have been a try back straight away when Knight held up Ben Flower but the chance was lost when a penalty was given away for holding down in the tackle.
Hunslet extended their lead on 21 minutes when a fine passing move ended with full-back Stuart Kain scoring and Knight converting.
Scorpions finally got onto the board on 29 minutes when Christiaan Roets barged his way through for an excellent individual try. Loz Wildbore converted.
But Hunslet restored the balance five minutes later when, following a penalty, Paul March ran over from close range. Wayne McHugh missed the kick.
The visitors had a couple of opportunities to extend their lead before the interval but on both occasions, pressure from the Scorpions back-line forced them to drop the ball when going for the line.
Scorpions were first on the board in the second half when Steve Parry went over and Lloyd White converted.
The Hawks thought they had a try back after being given a penalty but Paul March was held up over the line but from the restart, Danny Grimshaw scored in the corner.
And Michael Mark virtually sealed the game with a try in the same corner five minutes later.
A good passing move from Hawks led to David March following him over on 65 minutes while Kain slipped his markers in the first set from kick-off for Hunslet’s seventh try. Knight had no problem with either conversion.
Neil Lowe’s try under the sticks with six minutes remaining, converted by Knight, completed the rout.
Scorpions coach Anthony Seibold was disappointed with his team’s performance.
“It was disappointing,” he said. “We were outplayed, outmuscled and outenthused. Hunslet came down here and they showed that they wanted it more than us. We’ve got a lot of work to do this week if we want to compete against Oldham next Sunday.”
SOUTH WALES SCORPIONS: 36. Jamie Murphy 1. Craig Richards 5. Ash Bateman 3. Lee Williams 2. David James 6. Loz Wildbore 15. Andrew Gay 10. Gil Dudson 33. Lloyd White 8. Lewis Mills 22. Ben Flower 11. Christiaan Roets 17. Barrie Phillips
Interchange: 7. Steve Parry 16. Joe Burke 12. Neil Dallimore 29. Harri Greville
Tries: Roets (29'), Parry (46'); Goals: Wildbore 1/1, White 1/1
HUNSLET HAWKS: 29. Stuart Kain 2. Michael Mark 4. David Clayton 21. Wayne McHugh 26. Waine Pryce 6. Danny Grimshaw 7. Paul March 15. Adam Sullivan 9. Richard Chapman 3. James Houston 33. Tommy Haughey 30. Richard Knight 13. David March
Interchange: 31. Luke Haigh 12. Steve Dooler 16. Neil Lowe 8. Scott Woodcock 
Tries: Chapman (5'), Kain (21', 68'), P.March (34'), Grimshaw (53'), Mark (58'), D.March (65'), Lowe (74'); Goals: Knight 5/6, McHugh 0/2
Attendance: 798; Referee: M Kidd
Half-time: 6-16; Penalty Count: 6-5