South Sydney District Reps Match

Last weekend saw our Harold Matthews Cup and S G Ball Cup teams commence their season at Belmore Park against the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The Harold Matthews Cup side started the game in the right fashion and after only two minutes Mitchell Edwards thought he had crossed the line but had the try called back. The boys re focused and Mitchell Edwards once again crossed the line and scored the opening try of the match. The try was converted and we were ahead 6 points ? nil.

The boys continually peppered the Canterbury Bulldogs line but were unsuccessful in converting the good field position into points. The Bulldogs hit back with a try of their own and cut our lead to just two points. The Bulldogs looked as they were heading to the line again only to be denied by Eddie Pettybourne who came up with a great try saving tackle and we held a two point lead going into the half time break.

The boys had their fair share of possession in the second half but too many mistakes were made and we could not mount enough pressure on the opposition. The Bulldogs capitalised and raced in two quick tries and before we knew it we were down 16 points ? 6. With some smart work out of dummy half Mitchell Edwards grabbed his second try which was converted. From this point on the Bulldogs asserted their authority and ran out winners.

Andy Powell, Fonua Leao, Michael Cummins, Alfred Mafi, Eddie Paea, Mitchell Edwards all performed strongly along with Man of the Match Max Kerr.

The S G Ball cup game started with both teams trying to assert their authority up front. Matthew Seelin was very strong in defence from the outset, and he was assisted up front by Captain Aaron Firman, David Wynyard and Justin Rogers.

The Bulldogs were the first team to cross the line after thirteen minutes and took an early lead. More mistakes along with injuries were not helping the cause and before we knew it the boys were playing catch up footy. The boys hung in there, and halfback Dean Hamson threw a great ball for Richie Williams who sent Buddy Gordon away who scored a great try in the corner. Travis Robinson converted from the sideline and we went into the half time break down 10 points ? 6.

After seven minutes of play in the second half the bulldogs defence opened up and we looked set to score another try only to drop the ball. From that point on it was all the Bulldogs who ended up running out deserved winners on the day. Thomas Cook who performed strongly scored a late consolation try. Halfback Dean Hamson, Michael Goward and Chad Isles also performed strongly on the day. David Wynyard was a stand out performer for us on the day and took out the teams best and fairest award.

Our Jim Beam Cup team trialled against the Wyong Roos at Moree Breen Oval on Saturday and had a solid hit out against the Roos. The team still has another trial before finalising their squad for this season. They will do battle against 2003 Jim Beam Cup Grand Finalists Wentworthville Magpies which will give the team a good indication of where they stand for the upcoming season.

This week sees us take on Western Suburbs Magpies who have had a good start to the season in the District Representative Competition. We wish our boys the best of luck as they do battle against the Magpies.

For all match reports, scores, teams and any other junior league information why not visit our website If you have any questions regarding Rugby League or Souths Juniors contact Cameron in the League Office on 9314 4239 or email: [email protected]