Super League XVIII - Round 6 Review

Once again Round 6 of Super League brought us plenty of shocks and incident.

Huddersfield Giants and St Helens had two great away wins at Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves respectively.

Both Hull and Castleford had a man sent off at the KC Stadium as Widnes played 50 minutes with twelve and came back against Bradford Bulls to snatch an unlikely draw.

So below we have a look at how the games went.

Hull FC 52

Tries: Horne, Arundel 3, Lineham 3, Houghton, Bowden
Goals: Tickle 5, Holdsworth, Westerman, Arundel

Castleford Tigers 0

Att: 11,852

Hull FC ran in nine tries as they dispatched Castleford Tigers, in a bad tempered game at the KC Stadium.

After last week’s dismal performance at Widnes, Hull Head Coach Peter Gentle was looking for much improvement from his side who were without scrum-half Brett Seymour, who is on leave following a car accident. Castleford, who took Wigan the distance, made just one change to last week's squad. James Clare started at left centre in the place of Jake Webster.

The Black and Whites made a great start as a towering kick from Daniel Holdsworth caused havoc in the visitors defence and Tom Lineham was on hand to regather the ball and offload to Richard for Horne for the open score on four minutes. Danny Tickle added the extras.

Two minutes later Hull were in again as Justin Carney lost the ball in the tackle, and ex Tiger Joe Arundel picked up the loose ball to score against his former club.

Lineham then helped himself to a quickfire brace just before the break as once again any Castleford mistake was punished by the hosts who were out of sight with a 22-0 half time lead.

Two minutes into the second half, Hull ‘ dominance continued as Arundel added a second after good play by Horne. Lineham then grabbed his hat-trick a couple of minutes later with Horne again was the provider. Tickle mad no mistake with the conversion as the Black and White led 34-0.

However, on 50 minutes the game turned very ugly as a bout of boxing erupted. As a result of this the referee sent off Tickle and Weller Hauraki, while sin-binning Carney and Mark O'Meley.

As the tempers cooled Arundel slid over for a treble before Josh Bowden rounded off a big Hull win by stepping over for his first senior try seven minutes from time.


Leeds Rhinos 8

Tries: McShane
Goals: Sinfield 2

Huddersfield Giants 32
Tries: Wardle, Murphy 2, Grix, Brough, Crabtree
Goals: Brough 4

Att:      15,013

Danny Brough ran the show as Huddersfield Giants made it three wins on the bounce at Headingley Carnegie Stadium by seeing off a misfiring Leeds Rhinos.

After last week’s shock home hammering by Bradford Bulls in which Coach Paul Anderson labelled as embarrassing, the Giants were looking to get the better of the Champions who were in confident mood after a good win at Saints.

But with game played in damp, dreary conditions the Rhinos struggled to complete their sets as the Giants led by the magnificent Danny Brough - whose clever kicking game caused Leeds problems all night - took control.

Centre Joe Wardle pounced for the first try on 17 minutes after the Rhinos right winger Joe Vickery failed to gather the ball. Nine minutes form the interval Aaron Murphy scored the visitors second touchdown after Brough's pinpoint kick to the corner found him in plenty of space.

Brough missed both conversions as Leeds pulled two points back on the stroke of half-time with a 40-metre penalty from Kevin Sinfield to make it 8-2.

Unfortunately the errors continued in the second half and Huddersfield seized on a Chris Clarkson mistake 30 metres out from his own line as another great kick by Brough found Murphy who strolled in for his second try of the game.Brough kicked a penalty and then the Giants effectively ended any hopes for the Champions as good work by Leroy Cudjoe and Dale Ferguson led to Scott Grix making it 20-2.

The Huddersfield half-back Brough capped his fine night by supporting a break from Brett Ferres to score his side's fifth try. Leeds scored a consolation through substitute hooker Paul McShane, who dummied his way over from dummy-half but this was as good as it got for them.

Eorl Crabtree grabbed the final try of the game after a great jinking run by man-of-the-match Brough as the Giants claimed a well deserved win.


Warrington Wolves 10

Tries: Bridge 2
Goals: Hodgson

St Helens 22
Tries: Turner, Hohaia, Meli, Roby
Goals: Lomax 3

Att: 13,381

St Helens got their season up and running with a fine win over great, local rivals Warrington Wolves at the H.J. Stadium.

Nathan Brown was looking for  improvement from his side who had only won two times this season as they have struggled put games together, but they were taking on Warrington Wolves who they have beaten 37 time out of 44 since the start of the Super League.

Warrington were looking to get back to winning ways after last week loss at Hull KR  but it was Saints who clicked into gear early on as they opened the scoring after five minutes as Jordan Tuner took a short pass from Jonny Lomax.

Lance Hohaia took Jon Wilkin’s pass as the visitors doubled their advantage and it got even better for St Helens as Warrington gave away two quick penalties and a brilliant looping pass from Lomax sent Francis Meli away to score in the left hand corner to make it 14-0.

Warrington, still missing the inspiration of Lee Briers gave themselves a chance as in the last minute of the first half Richard Myler setup Chris Bridge to touchdown wide out for an unconverted try.

The hosts made a good start to the second period but found the Saints defence in good form as they struggled to break them down and the visitors responded to increase the lead to 16-4 as Lomax kicked a penalty on the hour mark.

Ten minutes from the end it was game over as Chris Hill lost the ball in a tackle from Anthony Laffranchi and on hand was James Roby who scored next to the posts.

Lomax added the extras and, although Bridge grabbed a late consolation for the Wolves it was Saints night as they kept up their superb Super League record at Warrington with only two defeats in the summer era.

Widnes Vikings 22

Tries: Ah Van 2, Hanbury, White
Goals: Ah Van 3

Bradford Bulls 22
Tries: Whitehead, Kearney, Diskin, Lulia
Goals: Sammut 3

Att: 5,861

Twelve man Widnes Vikings snatched a point with a brilliant rearguard performance against Bradford Bulls at the Stobart Stadium.

Both teams came into this contest bang in form, but Widnes were without three regular players Kevin Brown, Cameron Phelps and Stefan Marsh all with injuries.

But it was the Bulls who took control as Elliott Whitehead took a good pass from Brett Kearney to open things up after two minutes. It got better for the West Yorkshire team as Kearney raced onto Keith Lulia's clever off load to force his way over with Sammut adding the extras to make it 10-0.

The Vikings finally opened their account when ex Bull Patrick Ah Van score down the blind side to reduce the gap.

However ,after hooker Matt Diskin burrowed his way over from dummy half ,on the half hour ,for Bradford  there was then a major moment in the game as on-loan Wigan forward Gareth Hock was given his marching orders for showing dissent to the referee.

Sammut's conversion made it 16-4 as Widnes facing a huge uphill task to get anything out of the game and the extra man paid dividends as Lulia took Sammut's pass to cross and make it 20-4 at the interval.

Rhys Hanbury took Lloyd White's pass to go over after the restart as the hosts started their fightback. Ah Van squeezed in at the corner and booted the conversion off the touchline to make it 20-14 and it was now game on.

A Sammut penalty gave Bradford a bit of breathing space, but the twelve men would not lie down as in a late surge White scored and with Ah Van's conversion the Bulls lead was down to two. Then Ah Van struck the penalty and the Vikings almost snatched victory, but Hanbury's drop goal attempt was just off target as both teams took a share of the spoils.

Wigan Warriors 38

Tries: Green, Tuson, Hughes, Richards 2, Tomkins, Burke
Goals: Richards 5

Catalan Dragons 0

Att: 12,149

Wigan Warriors turned in a strong performance as they nilled Catalan Dragons at the DW Stadium.

The hosts were dominant from the start and some good defence by the French visitors kept them out initially, but Wigan finally opened the scoring in the eighteenth minute as a high kick from Sam Tomkins bounced into the hands of Chris Tuson, who offloaded for Matty Smith to send his half-back partner Blake Green over for a try, Richards converted to make it 6-0.

Try number two followed soon after as Tuson powered his way over the line after good work by Sean O’Loughlin; Jack Hughes then made it 18-0 to the Warriors at the interval by scoring his side’s third try of the first half.

It took just three minutes of the second half for the fourth score to arrive as Pat Richards intercepted a wayward pass from Daryl Millard and raced 95 metres to score on his 200th appearance for the Warriors.

The game ended as a contest on 51 minutes when Tomkins crossed in the corner to make it 28-0. Richards then collected a fine kick from Green to make it a double.

In the final 10 minutes Eloi Pelissier looked to have put a fair hit on Tomkins but his team-mates took offence and a melee followed. When it had all calmed down Olivier Elima put in the sin-bin in a night to forget for the Dragons.

In the dying minutes of the game Wigan youngster Greg Burke made it a dream night by scoring his maiden try in a resounding win for the hosts.

London Broncos 22

Tries: Gower, Dixon, Bailey, Sarginson
Goals: Witt 3

Hull KR 42
Tries: Welham 2, Brown 3, Eden, Salter, Paterson
Goals: Dobson 5

Att: 1,837

Hull KR claimed their first away win of the season as they got the better of London Broncos at the Twickenham Stoop.

Both sides had entered the game on the back of good wins over Salford and Warrington respectively last week.

The visitors were the first to threaten, Michael Dobson's teasing kick unsettling the London defence, but Luke Dorn was on hand to tidy up the danger, but another Dobson kick was successful as on ten minutes the Londoners let the ball bounce and Kris Welham touched down on the loose ball.

Shortly after Rovers increased their lead when right winger Alex Brown sowed his strength by shrugging off Kieran to race home and score from inside his own half.

Midway through the half ex Hull KR Hooker Ben Fisher set up Craig Gower for his first try of the season.

However, after this it was all Rovers and by the break they had took the lead to 30-6. Welham made it a double and Greg Eden darted over after good work by Travis Burns.

Before the star of the show was Brown who added two more to complete a first half hat-trick for the ex Batley Bulldog.

Needing a good response in the second half, the Broncos delivered and Dixon squeezed in at the corner on 50 minutes after good work from Chris Bailey.

Seconds later it was Bailey himself burrowing over after Brown spilled a kick as the hosts cut the deficit to 30-18.

Dobson steadied Rovers by tagging on a penalty and the visitors then forced a series of goal-line drop-outs before the pressure told as Liam Salter twisted his way over for a try.

Ex Cowboy Cory Patterson muscled his way over from close range after a short pass from Dobson to make sure of the win.

Dan Sarginson did run in a late consolation for the Londoners but it was Hull KR night as they claimed their third win of the campaign.


Wakefield Wildcats 23

Tries: Fox, Collis, Mariano, Washbrook, Cockayne
Goals: Sykes
Drop Goal: Sykes

Salford City Reds 23
Tries: Broughton, Jewitt, Fages, Murphy
Goals: Sneyd 3
Drop Goal: Sneyd

Att: 6,986

Wakefield Wildcats and Salford City Reds played out a draw at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

After Phil Veivers was relieved of his duties last week, former England International Alan Hunte was given the role of acting Head coach as he faced a Wakefield  side who had lost their last two outings by very close margins.

And it was the Wildcats who grabbed the opening try after two minutes as winger Peter Fox, scored for a fifth successive game.

But the City Reds responded well and got on terms 10 minutes later as Jodie Broughton finished off a break from Matty Ashurst. It got even better for the visitors as Lee Jewitt went over from close range and Mark Sneyd made no mistakes with the extras.

The game was now end-to end and it was Wakefield turn to score next Tim Smith's no-look pass allowed Richard Mathers to go through a gap and he sent Collis in for the try. Back Seconds later Theo Fages scored Salford’ third try of the half and with Sneyd kicking the extras to make it 16-8.

Tim Smith reduced the deficit just before the break as another brilliant pass found Frankie Mariano who romped over the line, but on the hooter Sneyd’s penalty gave the City Reds a narrow 18-14 advantage.

Seven minutes after the restart, Jack Murphy punished a mistake by the Wildcats after a Mather’s pass was coughed up by Lee Smith. In keeping with the manner of the match.

In keeping with the game, Wakefield’s response came soon after as Danny Washbrook slid over courtesy of another Tim Smith pass. Having a poor day with the boot Paul Sykes missed his third goal as the gap was down to 18-22.

However, we had an interesting last 13 minutes as the Wildcats levelled up thanks to Ben Cockayne, who celebrated his England call-up this week with his seventh try of the campaign.

Sneyd then edged Salford ahead with a 77 minute drop goal only for Sykes to finally find his range one minute from time as Wakefield snatched a draw.


Super League Ladder after Round 6

Pos      Team                           Pld       Wins    Draw   Loss     For       Against            Pts

1          Huddersfield Giants      6          5          0          1       164      87                    10

2          Wigan Warriors          6          4          1          1          183      79                      9

3          Bradford Bulls           6          3          1          2          165      122                    7

4          Warrington Wolves    6          3          1          2          127      115                   7

5          St Helens                    6          3          1          2          112      106                   7

6          Catalans Dragons       6          3          1          2          134      131                    7

7          Leeds Rhinos             5          3          0          2          118      78                      6

8          Hull K R                    6          3          0          3          190      158                    6

9          Hull FC                      6          2          1          3          134      130                    5

10        Wakefield Wildcats   6          2          1          3          131      130                    5

11        Widnes Vikings         5          2          1          2          108      112                    5

12        Castleford Tigers       6          1          1          4          89        187                    3

13        Salford City Reds      6          1          1          4          85        219                    3

14        London Broncos        6          1          0          5          98        184                    2