Tetley’s Challenge Cup - Round 5 Review

Wembley got a bit closer as the teams entered the fifth round of the Tetley's Challenge Cup.

On Saturday in the tie of the round, Super League front runners Leeds Rhinos got past-the only team to beat them this year - St Helens 32-12 at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

After resting several players on Easter Monday, Saints went into this one trying to avoid a third successive defeat, but it was Leeds who started the better as Full-Back Zak Hardaker went through a gap to open the scoring after the hosts shifted the ball wide.

It did not take long for St Helens to get on terms when a superb break by Marc Percival was finished off by young winger Adam Swift. A Superb off-load by Ryan Hall led to Hardaker making it a double as the homeside led narrowly 12-6 at the break.

Kevin Sinfield added a penalty then after a break by Rob Burrow, Joel Moon touched down to make it 20-6 in the Rhinos favour. Typically Saints would not go away and after getting back-to-back penalties Josh Jones was put thorugh as gap to setup an interesting final quarter.

Leeds defence was superb and sniffed out most of the visitor's attack, which gave them the confidence to go on and win the game in the final ten minutes of this compelling contest.

Kallum Watkins made the decisive break which was finished off by Danny McGuire to effectively end any hopes for the visitors.

Veteran Prop Jamie Peacock put the icing on the cake by crashing over later on, to book Leeds place in the last eight. But there was a sour note after the game as it was confirmed that Rob Burrow had broken his collarbone and faces a 12 week absent.

Bradford Bulls made amends for thier 82-6 hammering at Wigan on Monday, by coming from 16-0 down to defeat Catalan Dragons at Odsal 33-20.

The French outfit had a great start by scoring three tries in the opening 13 minutes from Daryl Millard, Ben Pomeroy and Oliver Elima.

However, with 30 unanswered points in less than half an hour, Bradford turned the game on its head with Lee Gaskell, Luke Gale and Adrian Purtell all touching down.

Jamie Foster, returning after being taken sick over Easter, claimed a 20-point personal haul with a brace and six goals as the Bulls put thier Super League woes to the backburner to book thier place in the quarter finals.

In the other all Super League tie Widnes Vikings triumphed 30-20 at Salford Red Devils.

Full-back Rhys Hanbury scored two of Widnes' five tries in a match they dominated for an hour but almost let victory slip from their grasp in a thrilling finish as the Red Devils staged a dramatic fight back through Junior Sau, Gareth Hock and Lama Tasi.

It took a last minute try by Lloyd White to finally end Salford hopes as they came back from being 18-4 down at the break.

Elsewhere, Justin Carney scored four tries as Castleford breezed into the quarter-finals for the first time since 2011 after seeing off the threat of Championship side Sheffield in a 12-try 60-16 romp.

Matty Bowen scored a hat-trick as holders Wigan claimed an easy 52-8 win over Championship 1 side Hunslet Hawks.

Warrington stand-off Chris Bridge claimed a 36-point haul as the Wolves demolished Doncaster 68-0 at HJ Stadium.

The other teams in the Quarter final draw are Leigh Centurions and the lowest ranked side Keighley Cougars who both saw off Championship opposition.


Leeds Rhinos 32-12 St Helens Att: 12,194

Swinton Lions 20-33 Keighley Cougars Att: 465

Bradford Bulls 33-20 Catalan Dragons Att: 2,341

Leigh Centurions 26 - 16 Featherstone Rovers Att: 3,664

Salford Red Devils 20 - 30 Widnes Vikings Att: 2,630

Warrington Wolves 68 - 0 Doncaster Att: 3,002

Wigan Warriors 52 - 8 Hunslet Hawks Att: 4,390

Castleford Tigers 60 - 16 Sheffield Eagles Att: 4,648

The Quarter final draw will take place at 1830 BST tomorrow live on BBC News 24.