Tigers Jersey Flegg Match Report

The Go Sport Balmain Tigers were outclassed by a strong Cronulla Sharks outfit 50-22 at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

The Sharks were first to score in the right hand corner to lead 4-0.

9 minutes later five eighth Darren Rodgers crossed out wide after centre Franco Kmet backed up a great break and found Rodgers in support on the outside. Kmet's conversion gave them the lead 6-4.

Winger Chris Noble crossed in the left hand corner with 15 minutes left on the clock after they got a penalty then spotted an overlap down the left hand side which centre David Pangai used to perfection before slipping a neat offload to Noble to plunge over. Kmet sent over a beautiful conversion from the sideline to put the Tigers further ahead 12-4.

Close to half time the Sharks crossed out wide after spotting a gap in the defence 10m out from the line and used it well and converted to close to 12-10.

Right on half time came the turning point of the match with Kmet being unexpectedly sinbinned for a play the ball indiscretion, leaving the Tigers a man down for the first period of the second half, but they went into the main break leading 12-10.

The Sharks took advantage of Kmet's absence when play resumed and ran in 4 tries to be completely in control at 30-12 upon his return.

Continuing their rampage they piled on a further 3 tries, leaving the Tigers shellshocked and facing a scoreline of 44-12.

Close to full time Rodgers restored some pride by crossing for his second of the day in the right hand corner after spotting a gap through the right hand centres and hitting it at pace, beating the cover to slide over. Kmet couldn't convert and the score was 44-16.

The Sharks replied soon after, stepping through some lazy defence to cross out wide and the extras took them back to 50-16.

Right on full time front rower Tim Tobin scored a well deserved try out wide after they worked the ball around until Tobin spotted a gap in the line and charged through to cross. Kmet added the extras and at full time the Sharks were victorious 50-22.

This match highlighted the importance of playing for the full 70 minutes, especially when facing teams near the top of the ladder who can make you pay for any error committed across the field. The Man of the Match was lock Jarrod Farlow who put in a solid performance in an unfamiliar position. He was ably supported by front rower Tim Tobin, Franco Kmet &, in a welcome return to form, five eighth Darren Rodgers.