19 hours ago - 1 Likes
Welsh Domestic season opens with Scott McRorie Nines Cup
The Welsh Rugby League domestic season kicks off in South Wales this Sunday with the annual Scott McRorie Nines competition, which this year is being held at Valley Cougars' Nelson RFC ground (12pm start). This will be the sixth such tournament that's been organised to commemorate Wales Under-18 international Scott McRorie from Port Talbot, who tragically died in a bike accident on Friday 7th May 2004.
Eight teams have entered this year's event, and the draw made on Thursday at the Wales Rugby League offices in Pencoed, gave holders Valley Cougars games against with CPC Bears (West Wales), Bridgend Blue Bulls and newcomers Tydfil Wildcats. Cardiff Demons, winners of the competition in 2006 and 2008 will take on Newport Titans, Torfaen Tigers and Swansea University.
The Final will take place at 3pm and will finish in time for people to watch the Crusaders v Catalans Dragons Carnegie Challenge Cup tie at 3.30pm on BBC2 Wales. The full Welsh Rugby League Conference season, that this year features 13 teams in two divisions, starts on Saturday 22nd May.
The laws of rugby league nines are the same as standard rugby league laws with the following exceptions.
* Each team is allowed a squad of up to fifteen players, with no more than nine players on the field at any time. Unlimited substitutions are allowed from a named bench of four players.
* The match lasts for 15 minutes, divided into two halves of 7 minutes 30 seconds. There is no half time interval but teams are allowed a maximum of 1 minute to change ends. Each half starts with a place kick.
* Scrums consist of no more than 5 forwards, with a maximum 3 in the front row and 2 in the second row. When the ball is in the scrum no more than 4 players from each team shall act as backs. The ball must emerge from behind the feet of the second row.
* Conversions after a successful try take the form of drop kicks. Players from the team that has conceded the score do not have to retire behind the try line but must not interfere with any conversion attempt.
* When points have been scored the team against which points have been scored will restart the game with a tap restart from the centre of the half-way line.
* When a team is awarded a penalty then play must proceed by way of a tap 10-metres in advance of where the infringement took place.
* In the event of misconduct by a player the referee can suspend for 5 minutes.
FULL SCOTT McRORIE NINES DRAW 2010
PITCH ONE PITCH TWO
12pm Swansea University v Cardiff Demons Newport Titans v Torfaen Tigers
12.20pm CPC Bears v Bridgend Blue Bulls Valley Cougars v Tydfil Wildcats
12.40pm Swansea University v Newport Titans Cardiff Demons v Torfaen Tigers
1pm CPC Bears v Valley Cougars Bridgend Blue Bulls v Tydfil Wildcats
1.20pm Swansea University v Torfaen Tigers Cardiff Demons v Newport Titans
1.40pm CPC Bears v Tydfil Wildcats Bridgend Blue Bulls v Valley Cougars
2.10pm Semi-Final 1
2.30pm Semi-Final 2