Wildcats run ended by Giants

Wildcats run ended by Giants

Wakefield?s fine run under new coach Tony Smith was brought to an abrupt halt by a crushing 44-12 home defeat at the hands of Huddersfield.

The Giants, inspired by two-try former Belle Vue favourite Paul March, his 20-point half-back partner Chris Thorman and the evergreen Stanley Gene, ran riot in the second half.

Victory kept alive their slim play-off aspirations and, in doing so, all but ended those of Wakefield.

Smith had been awarded the engage Super League coach of the month award for July in the week.

But neither he, nor player of the month David Solomona, could inspire the Wildcats to a fourth successive victory.

Wakefield had been dealt an early blow when Jason Demetriou picked up a nasty-looking wrist injury in the first minute, Rob Spicer coming on in his place.

And it was the visitors who put the first piece of sustained pressure together, which almost brought about the opening try on two separate occasions.

Second row Paul Smith was held up over the line in the left corner and, after the Giants forced another set of six thanks to a knock-on by Semi Tadulala, stand-off Thorman knocked the ball on over the line from dummy half.

The Wildcats did take the lead, though, after eight minutes when David March booted over a penalty from in front of the posts after Smith had gone high on Sid Domic.

The Giants were reduced to 12 men a couple of minutes later, referee Richard Silverwood taking exception to Eorl Crabtree trying to plant little Sam Obst into the turf and sending him to the sin-bin for 10 minutes.

David March elected against another easy two points as the Wildcats went for the try and, although Domic was immediately sent streaking through the line, the final pass was correctly ruled forward.

Wakefield continued to press until Giants winger Hefin O?Hare returned a Wildcats kick with interest and was then prevented from playing the ball by Ben Jeffries, who became the second player to take an unwanted 10-minute breather.

Chris Thorman kicked the resultant penalty to level the scores, and the Giants went ahead midway through the half when Brad Drew sent Gene through a gaping hole in the defence for Chris Nero to cross in the left corner.

Thorman?s second goal made it 8-2, and he added another penalty soon afterwards for a Wakefield indiscretion in front of the posts to open up an eight-point advantage.

Thorman, the former Parramatta man, extended the lead four minutes into the second period, making a half break and just reaching over as the defence collared him, his conversion a formality for a 16-2 advantage.

Two minutes later it was 22-2, Paul March backing up a nice break from Marcus St Hilaire to cross for an unopposed score and Thorman continuing his fine form with the boot.

St Hilaire added the fourth try himself on 55 minutes, winning the race to a neat chip over by Gene to leave Thorman with another easy kick.

Two quickfire tries either side of the hour mark from Jamie Field and Solomona at least brought a bit more respectability to the scoreline at 28-12.

However Paul March then backed up a superb break from Gene to bag his second try of the afternoon, before sending in both Jon Grayson and Smith for further scores in the dying stages to the delight of the travelling Huddersfield fans.

Wakefield: Halpenny, Wainwright, Demetriou, Domic, Tadulala, Jeffries, Obst, Griffin, March, Korkidas, Solomona, MacGillivray, J. Field. Replacements: Spicer, Wrench, Snitch, Elima.

Huddersfield: St Hilaire, O?Hare, Evans, Nero, Greenwood, Thorman, March, McDonald, Drew, Gannon, Crabtree, Smith, Gene. Replacements: Fagborun, White, Morrison, Grayshon.

Wakefield: (2) 12. Tries: J. Field, Solomona. Goals: March 2.

Huddersfield: (10) 44. Tries: Nero, Thorman, March 2, St Hilaire, Grayshon, Smith. Goals: Thorman 8.

Referee: Richard Silverwood (Dewsbury)

Att: 4,476

Thanks to www.superleague for the above review