FRESH LOOKS | Several clubs are changing their style in 2017 - as each club releases their jerseys f...
29 hours ago - 9 Likes
Bulldogs and Australian test star Willie Mason has denied he was the player who tested positive to cocaine use.
It was revealed on Wednesday that a player from the Bulldogs club was fined $25,000 last year for failing a drug test.
The Daily Telegraph newspaper today said it confirmed with senior rugby league sources Mason was found to have traces of cocaine in his system when tested by the club during the off season.
But Mason denied he tested positive to the illegal drug.
"I don't know anything about it," Mason told the Daily Telegraph from his manager's home in Coogee.
He said the Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA) and the Bulldogs had drug tested him numerous times.
"I've never tested positive to anything."
Mason said he was surprised his name was linked to the positive result and was upset he was at the centre of the rumour.
"People have been saying a lot of things about me which which aren't true," he said.
"I'm getting blamed for everything.
"I don't know why people are saying these things and trying to pull the Bulldogs down."
Mason said he had not been contacted by the club since the story about the mystery player who failed the drug test surfaced on Wednesday.
He said the purpose of his meeting with his manager was to discuss the $10,000 fine he was slapped with for wearing inappropriate clothing to police interviews in relation to the alleged sexual assault in Coffs Harbour.
The Bulldogs maintained a stony silence on the matter, releasing a statement in which they said they were unable to make any comment.
"The Bulldogs players' legal rights along with their rights to privacy and confidentiality as outlined in the code must be respected at all times," the statement said.
The National Rugby League has been frustrated at not being able to take action against the Bulldogs player who failed the drug test for cocaine.
Under NRL guidelines, the player - who failed the test late last year - would have faced a minimum 12 match ban.
Because the test was carried out by the club rather than the NRL, it was subject to privacy provisions under the Workplace Code of Health, Safety and Conduct.
That stopped the club from sharing the results with the NRL, something NRL chief David Gallop admitted was difficult to handle.