Wolves secure victory over Reds

Warrington Wolves climbed above Hull for the crucial fourth spot in the engage Super League thanks to a dominant second-half show against Salford that resulted in a 32-22 victory.

Salford, already clear of relegation, led 16-12 at half-time before Warrington took charge to boost their hopes of a home tie in the first round of the play-offs.

The Reds, however, refused to throw in the towel and Karl Fitzpatrick went over for their fourth try three minutes from time with Chris Charles landing the conversion after the Wolves had led 26-16.

But Warrington, who had the man of the match in scrum-half Nathan Wood, still had time to grab a sixth try when Chris Leikvoll charged over from short range with Bridge slotting over the conversion.

Salford, who stunned Warrington with a convincing win at The Willows earlier in the season, romped into a 12-0 lead after only 16 minutes.

The first try came from centre Anthony Stewart after Wolves captain Lee Briers tried to intercept Cliff Beverley?s path but was caught out of the line.

Charles booted the conversion and then added the goal to former Warrington forward Ian Sibbit?s try.

But Warrington, eagerly awaiting the arrival of Andrew Johns from Australia in midweek, hit back after Wood saw a pass to Jon Clarke ruled forward.

Almost immediately Wood?s smart inside pass enabled Ben Westwood, who later hobbled off injured, to round Andrew Brocklehurst and touch down with Chris Bridge landing the goal.

But Salford, playing enterprising rugby, made it 16-6 after 27 minutes when Gareth Haggerty?s burst created the chance for Stuart Littler to go over.

However, Wood?s break the full length of the field for a try straight from a scrum made the gap 16-12 at the break.

Warrington increased the tempo in the second half and levelled the scores after 47 minutes with Martin Gleeson touching down.

The Wolves went ahead for the first time on the hour with Bridge waltzing over from Mark Gleeson?s pass to stretch the advantage to 22-16.

Salford continued to threaten but a mistake by David Hodgson allowed Warrington to gain the initiative with slick handling, enabling skipper Briers to go over for the Wolves? fifth try six minutes from time to make it 26-16.

Warrington: Grose, Fa?afili, M. Gleeson, Kohe-Love, Bridge, Briers, N. Wood, Leikvoll, M. Gleeson, P. Wood, Swann, Westwood, Clarke. Replacements: Noone, Lima, Hilton, Riley.

Salford: Fitzpatrick, Langi, Stewart, Littler, Hodgson, Beverley, Robinson, Coley, Alker, Highton, Brocklehurst, Sibbit, Charles. Replacements: Haggerty, Baldwin, McAvoy, Clough.

Warrington: (12) 32. Tries: Westwood, N. Wood, M. Gleeson, Bridge, Briers, Leikvoll. Goals: Bridge 4.

Salford: (16) 22. Tries: Stewart, Sibbit, Littler, Fitzpatrick. Goals: Charles 3.

Referee: Ian Smith (Oldham)

Att: 9,619