Wolves Too Good For Widnes

Graham Appo's late try was enough to give Warrington Wolves a 32-28 win over Widnes Vikings in a dramatic and exciting Tetley's Rugby Super League clash at The Halton Stadium. The Vikings had come from 16-0 down to move 20-16 up after the break, and the scores were left tied at 28-all until Appo's second try of the game, in the 78th minute, gave the Wolves the win.

The victory sees Warrington move above their Cheshire rivals in the Super League table, and leaves them level with St Helens and a point behind sixth placed London.

Warrington got off to a great start, when Brent Grose put Rob Smyth over in the sixth minute, and Nathan Wood dived in from dummy half soon afterwards for a second try, Lee Briers' goal opening up a 10-0 lead.

They added a third try on 25 minutes, when Grose intercepted Dean Lawford's pass and raced in from half way, with a second Briers conversion extending the cushion.

Vikings substitute Phil Cantillon started the home side's comeback in the 34th minute, with Jules O'Neill adding the extras, and the stand off then sent Deon Bird over for a second score.

The conversion, and a penalty, cut the gap to 16-14 at the break, and Widnes went in front for the first time when Shane Millard crossed after 51 minutes.

Appo's converted try edged the Wolves back ahead soon afterwards, but a penalty from O'Neill levelled matters at 22-22 going into the final quarter of an hour.

Livewire Wolves substitute Gary Hulse crossed in the 68th minute to push Warrington back into the lead, Briers goaling, but again the Vikings hit back.

Lawford atoned for his earlier error when he took Cantillon's pass to touch down with five minutes remaining, and O'Neill's conversion looked set to earn Widnes a share of the spoils.

But Appo took a loose pass from O'Neill to romp in from 50 metres to give the Wolves the win.

"We were in control but then looked very ordinary for a while but never gave up," said Wolves coach Paul Cullen.

"Widnes almost made us pay because we should not have let slip a 16-0 lead.

"They have some quality players, but fortunately we were able to come back to snatch victory. It was an exceptional game which had everything."

Widnes coach Neil Kelly said: "We worked very hard and it was pleasing to come back from 16-0 down, but then we allowed it to slip through our grasp too easily.

"Hopefully we can learn our lesson from this defeat. There is still some work to do."