At Huntington Stadium

A final minute drop-goal from Chris Thorman was the only thing that divided the York City Knights and South Wales Scorpions in a close contest.

York were made to work hard for their win as the Scorpions matched York every step of the way. It was an exhilarating contest and either side could have got the winner in an exciting conclusion.

The Scorpions earned a bonus point for losing by 11 points or less, which is a good achievement against a side who are tipped as one of the favourites for promotion.

The visitors made an error from the start when the ball was kicked into touch from kick-off. It gave York an invitation for an early try and Lee Waterman was close to scoring in the corner but was pushed into touch.

But it was Scorpions who got on the board first. Danny Ratcliffe spilled a high bomb, David James was quickest to react, he interchanged well with Aled James who set up Lewis Mills who caught his own chip before running over. Lloyd White converted.

York pushed for an equaliser. Chris Thorman's tough bouncing grubber was picked up by Andrew Gay but he was forced to concede a goal-line drop-out.

From the next attack, they were close again but Scorpions regained the ball. David James tried to replicate his try at Doncaster last week by intercepting a pass on his own 10 metre line. This time he was stopped half-way by Casey Bromilow, but the York half-back was sinbinned for an over the top tackle on James.

Gay knocked on from the resulting attack following the penalty, denying the Welsh a further try.

And it was 12-man York who did level things after Joe McLocklan was fed a loose ball. Waterman converted.

They almost took the lead from their second set after kick-off but Jordan Ross was held up over the line.

Scorpions had a double chance to create a try following two rebounds off York players as they failed to control the ball. But with just a few metres to go, an error from the play-the-ball gave York possession back. They didn't waste it as they worked their way upfield and Brett Waller forced his way over under the sticks. Waterman had an easy kick to make the score 12-6.

From their next attack, a try was ruled out following good defence from David James and Lee Williams, forcing Wayne Reittie into touch.

Scorpions attempted an equaliser before the interval but to no avail. Andrew Gay and Lloyd White were combining well but York's defence held firm. The final opportunity was Gay's grubber, aimed for Craig Richards, but the ball was just centimetres too far ahead for him and it trickled past the dead-ball line.

The Welsh were first on the board in the second half after only three minutes. Lloyd White kicked a grubber and Gil Dudson pounced as York let the ball go through a crowd of players. White converted.

Scorpions took the lead from the restart. Gil Dudson and Christiaan Roets linked up to feed Craig Richards who ran down the wing to score. White kept up his 100% record to put the Welsh 18-12 up.

York levelled things on 53 minutes. Chris Thorman's kick was picked up well by Danny Ratcliffe for a text-book try. Waterman had an easy conversion.

Both teams fought to take the lead. York's Danny Ratcliffe then Scorpions' Steve Parry were each held up over their respective lines as both defences held firm.

Finally the home side managed to break through. A good set of six culminated in Casey Bromilow running over from close range. Waterman converted again.

Scorpions again failed to lie down and pushed for a try. Neil Dallimore was denied after being held up over the line but with five minutes to go, a fantastic passing move culminated with Loz Wildbore creating a try for Steve Parry. White's conversion was tricky but it just cleared the posts.

Both sides pushed for a winner but when York got within kicking distance, they took full advantage through the experienced Thorman.

Scorpions' coach Anthony Seibold said: