Full Time
6:00pm Fri August 3, 2018
Round 21 - McDonald Jones Stadium - Crowd: 18561

Match Overview

Despite a Knights second half surge, the Wests Tigers remained cool and calm to get the win 25-16 tonight at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Wests Tigers managed the game well against the Knights, opting to play sensible footy for 80 minutes instead of the razzle dazzle style they've tended to resort to at times. 

The game started with a huge bonus for the Tigers when Sio kicked the ball dead from the kick-off. The Tigers received back-to-back penalties, which resulted in Marsters potting a penalty goal after 2 minutes.

Twelve minutes later Mata'utia gave away a silly penalty on the last tackle when he held Taylor back as he chased after a Marshall grubber. From the next set, Packer received the ball almost in front of the posts, spun out of a poor standing tackle and then ran in to score a good solo try. Marsters converted.

The Knights hit back just 3 minutes later when Pearce put up a cross-field kick. Mata'utia took the ball cleanly and slammed it down for a good try. Sio failed to convert.

Marsters kicked 2 penalty goals before Luke Brooks dummied right and then ran back infield to score a soft try just 2 minutes from half time. Marsters fails to convert.

The Tigers were the first to score in the second half, just 9 minutes after the resumption of play when Brooks came back inside, took on the line, spun in the tackle and threw an offload to Farah who ran through a big gap to score near the posts. Marsters converted.

In the 56th minute the Knights staged their comeback through none other than Kalyn Ponga. He straightened before changing pace to take on the line and he bursts through to score a good solo try. Sio added the extras.

Seven minutes later, Guerra ran onto a crash ball on the left side and backed his way towards the line before crawling over for a strong try. Sio again converted to reduce the margin to 6 with 15 minutes remaining.

With 5 minutes remaining in the game, Brooks received a pass inside the Knights 30 and calmly slotted a field goal. 3 minutes later Marsters kicked another penalty goal to give the Tigers a much needed 25-16 victory.

Both sides head on the road next week, with the Knights heading across the Tasman to face the Warriors and the Wests Tigers in Canberra against fellow top-eight hopefuls the Raiders.

3. Luke Brooks

Brooks controlled play well all game, while taking on the line several times. He looked a real threat all game and calmly potted a late field goal to ensure the victory.

2. Russell Packer

The Tigers prop was powerful in the first half, scoring a strong try. Constantly bent the line all night.

1. Robbie Farah

The veteran looked like age wasn't hindering him at all. Played quickly out of dummy half all night.