Full Time
6:00pm Fri May 10, 2019
Round 9 - Suncorp Stadium - Crowd: 35122

Match Overview

The Wests Tigers have extended the Panthers woes with an opening 20 minute blitz that netted 5 tries to nil, finishing 30-4 winners and leaving Penrith in all sorts of trouble.

In the 4th minute, the Tigers scoring began when Luke Brooks sent a nice short ball to Ryan Matterson, who broke the line ran for 20 metres and then passed back inside to Moses Mbye who scored. Esan Marsters converted.

Three tackles after the restart, Robbie Farah made a break from dummy half on the left side, run 30 metres and then passed to Brooks who raced 40 metres to score. Marsters added the extras from in front.

On the 3rd tackle again from the next restart, the Tigers scored again. Farah on the left with a short ball to Mbye who quickly passed to Chris McQueen who strolled through a big gap before passing to Marsters who raced away to score. Marsters was unable to convert his own try.

At the end of the Tigers set after the next restart, Benji Marshall kicked a brilliant 40/20. The Tigers shifted the ball right where Corey Thompson got a clear run to the line and scored after Josh Mansour rushed a long way up and in. Marsters was again unable to add the extras.

In the 17th minute, the Tigers added their fifth try after they exploited the Panthers on the left short side for the third time, this time close to the line. Brooks threw a great cut-out pass to Robert Jennings who scored in the corner. Marsters again failed to convert from out wide.

In the 26th minute, Marsters kicked a penalty goal to give the Tigers a 26-0 lead. Three minutes later, Penrith finally got on the board when they found space on the Tigers' right side. Dean Whare had a nice wrap around play with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak for the former to score in the corner. Nathan Cleary's sideline conversion was waved away.

Penrith's defence was much better in the second half, but their last tackle options were regularly poor and they failed to add to their score after the break.

In the 67th minute, Wests Tigers put the cherry on top of a brilliant opening half by crossing again, when Brooks put in a gorgeous grubber which found Marsters who scored on the left side. Marsters again failed to convert. They game finished with no further changes to the scoreline.

3. Robbie Farah

Farah wound the clock back...to Round 1. Explosive out of dummy half in the opening 40 mins, tore the Panthers to shreds and took the game away from them before they even had a chance to get in it.

2. Ryan Matterson

Matterson was blistering in attack yet again, getting involved in the opening try and threatened for the remainder of the game to score himself.

1. Luke Brooks

Brooks was in fine form. His passing and kicking games were on song and his decision making was largely spot on.