Full Time
6:15pm Sun April 25, 2021
Round 7 - AAMI Park - Crowd: 20320

Match Overview

Jahrome Hughes has put on an attacking clinic, playing a starring role in the Storm's big 42-20 win on Anzac Day over the Warriors at AAMI Park.

The Storm made their intentions clear from the outset when they scored in just the second minute of the game, off the back of some quick play-the-balls. The scattered Warriors defence were unable to stop the roving Hughes, who made a good break and then grubbered amazingly off the side of his boot to the right wing, where George Jennings regathered and scored with no one near him. Cameron Munster converted from touch.

The Warriors hit back 6 minutes later with a short-side play where Josh Curran sent a lovely long ball to Ken Maumalo, who made a wobbly run down the sideline, but stayed infield before diving over to score in the corner. Kodi Nikorima failed to add the extras.

In the 12th minute Josh Curran was given ten minutes in the sin bin for a collision with Jennings, which saw the Storm winger come off for an HIA and failed to return.

The Storm went on an attacking spree shortly after, bagging three tries in six minutes. In the 20th minute Hughes ran to the line and then popped a nice short ball to Felise Kaufusi, who ran into a big gap and scored to the right of the posts. Munster converted.

Three minutes later, Hughes was at first receiver on the right side, stepped in towards the posts and then darted back left before passing to Nicho Hynes close to the line and he slammed the ball down for a good try. Munster's conversion attempt hit the upright and was waved away.

In the 26th minute Hughes made a break in the middle, 10 metres shy of halfway and then sent a lovely ball to Reimis Smith who raced 25 metres to score in the right corner. Munster again failed to convert from the difficult angle.

The Storm had a try disallowed in the 32nd minute, but weren't to be denied 4 minutes later when some lovely quick passing by Munster, Hughes, Kaufusi and then Hynes, who held up a nice ball for Reimis Smith to score another try. Munster converted the try to give the Storm a 26-4 lead at halftime.

The Warriors scored first in the second half when Wayde Egan at dummy half, threw a ball to Ben Murdoch-Masila, who spun as he caught the ball close to the Storm line and then crashed over next to the posts to score. Nikorima converted.

The Storm hit back in the 52nd minute when Justin Olam stormed onto a ball from Hynes at top speed and crashed over for a try. Munster again failed to convert.

Both sides had a try disallowed by the bunker over the next 8 minutes, but the Storm managed to cross again in the 64th minute when a long ball from Munster finds Josh Addo-Carr, who then scored in the left corner. Munster nailed the sideline conversion.

Two minutes later and Addo-Carr was in for another try, this time due to his own individual brilliance. He collected a loose pass off the ground and then stood up Roger Tuivasa-Sheck with brilliant footwork and explosive speed, he then changed direction and ran in towards the posts to evade debutant Reece Walsh who can only watch as Addo-Carr scores near the posts. Munster converted.

Ken Maumalo snared two late tries in the final five minutes, the last of which was converted by Nikorima to add some respectability to the scoreboard, sort of. Melbourne comfortable winners 42-20.

3. Jahrome Hughes

Hughes was unstoppable. Had a hand in most of the Storm points and could not be contained.

2. Nicholas Hynes

Hynes played a beautiful support act for Hughes, setting up tries and adding in some great kick returns to boot.

1. Felise Kaufusi

Kaufusi looked like a five-eighth or a centre, running onto offloads, linking in with some nice passes. Brilliant work by the big man.