Full Time
4:00pm Sun June 11, 2017
Round 14 - Campbelltown Stadium - Crowd: 10066

Match Overview

A sizzling second forty from the Sydney Roosters has seen them come away from Campbelltown Stadium with a 40-18 victory over Wests Tigers in front of 10,000 hardy fans.

The reaction of the Wests Tigers faithful at halftime against that at fulltime could not have been more contrasting. Trailing just 16-12 at the break, the Campbelltown crowd was on their feet, applauding their side after they stayed within four points of the more-fancied Roosters, despite having only 39% possession.

Come fulltime though, faint boos and the sound of scuffing feet was all that was heard, the home team having let in 24 second half points to just six of their own to lose by 22 points.

A boilover looked possible from early on - Tui Lolohea scored and converted inside the opening ten minutes for a 6-0 Wests Tigers lead, but the Roosters hit straight back twice. Blake Ferguson & Connor Watson's tries began a period of dominance for the Roosters.

The visitors dominated possession, and extended their lead to 16-6 with Aidan Guerra scoring his first try of the season around the 28th minute. Not long after the Tigers did hit back through future Rooster James Tedesco, and with Lolohea's conversion trimming the margin back to four points.

Once play resumed for the second half, the Tigers' resolve seemingly disappeared. Mitchell Pearce scored the first of two tries for the evening shortly after the break, doubling his efforts in the 56th minute to have the Roosters ahead 28-12 by the hour mark.

The floodgates then opened. Guerra and Watson both crossed for their second tries, a 40-12 lead taking the Tricolours into the final ten minutes. A consolation try did very little for the Wests Tigers fans - many of whom had already made tracks to the carpark or Leumeah station - when Sue bagged the last four-pointer of the game.

It gets no easier for the Wests Tigers next week when they visit premiers Cronulla down in the Shire, while the Roosters enjoy the bye ahead of Origin II, before heading to Adelaide as the home side against competition leaders Melbourne.

3. Aidan Guerra

Asked to start in the second row with Tupou & Cordner out - and didn't disappoint. After a fairly patchy season and copping plenty of criticism for his Maroons form as well, Guerra delivered in spades today, bagging two tries, breaking the line twice and backing up in defence with 39 tackles.

2. Connor Watson

Came on after just four minutes after a concussion to Jake Friend - and didn't disappoint. Accustomed to playing in the halves, Watson stepped in ably at dummy half, worked his backside off in defence with 4 tackles, scored twice and set one up as well.

1. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

JWH even got in on the try assist action today, nabbed a line break and carried the ball for 177 metres, the most of anyone on the park today.