Knights defy hoodoo to win at Canberra

NRL TelstraPremiership GRAD
Embed from Getty Images
Canberra Raiders v Newcastle Knights

The Knights travelled to the Nation's capital to try and defy the hoodoo the club has there - and defy it they did, with a 30-28 win over Canberra in front of over 12,000 fans.

On the back of a great win last week, the Knights carried that form into this battle. And it was the Knights who struck first after ten minutes, thanks to back-to-back penalties against the Raiders for holding down too long in the tackle. Connor Watson found Aidan Guerra running a great angled line back infield, who barged over for a try. Ponga converted.

The Raiders took just 3 minutes to respond, with a neat passing passage on the right side before a Wighton cut out pass found Rapana who dived over in the corner. Croker's kick from the sideline never looked like missing.

With the Raiders back on attack and pressing the Knights line, Moga rushed up too fast to shut down a play and Croker opted to take the two, giving his side the lead.

Shortly after, Leilua was bent back awkwardly in a tackle and injured ankle. The news got worse for the Raiders when Ponga put Fitzgibbon over for a try. Ponga converted.

The Raiders again bounced back thanks to some magnificent aerial work by Rapana, who lept to take a Williams kick, caught the ball and passed back to Whitehead who scored untouched. Croker was unable to add the extras.

In the last 3 minutes both sides kicked a penalty goal each to make the scores level at 14 at halftime.

The second half started with the Raiders dominating possession after the Knights were penalised 3 times in a row before dropping the ball fielding a kick. The Raiders scored from the scrum after Paulo made a powerful run. While standing in the tackle, Whitehead saw the offload coming and picked off to score an easy try. Croker converted.

It was the Knights turn to hit back and they did just that 4 minutes later after Ponga put Moga over for an easy try. Ponga converted.

Shortly after, the Knights went down the left side, with Ross finding space before grubbering infield for Watson, however he was unable to hold onto the ball as he was trying to ground it.

A period of ill-discipline by the Knights resulted in Croker kicking another penalty goal to give his side the lead again.

Jarrod Croker then scored a good try after Havili popped a good offload away to Sezer who then linked with Austin, who weaved through the broken defence before putting Croker over. The captain converted from right in front and the Raiders lead 28-20.

With 15 minutes remaining the Knights again went down the left edge, with Ross getting into space. He grubbered back infield and Watson was again there waiting, however this time he collected the ball cleanly and scored. Ponga converted to reduce the deficit to 2.

The Knights reclaimed the lead with 6 minutes remaining when Pearce held up a short ball for Mata'utia who hit a gap close to the line and scored. Ponga was unable to convert from out wide.

Try as they might, the Raiders couldn't regain the lead and the Knights won by 2.

Newcastle are on the road again in the same timeslot next Sunday night when they face the Roosters at Allianz Stadium, while Canberra are at home again, hosting the Warriors next Saturday afternoon.

Canberra Raiders 28 - Newcastle Knights 30

Venue: GIO Stadium Canberra
Crowd: 12626
Halftime Score: Canberra Raiders 14 Newcastle Knights 14

Tries: Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Elliot Whitehead (2)
Field Goals:
Conversions: Jarrod Croker (3/4)
Penalty Goals: Jarrod Croker (3/3)

Tries: Aidan Guerra, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Tautau Moga, Connor Watson, Sione Mata'utia
Field Goals:
Conversions: Kalyn Ponga (4/5)
Penalty Goals: Kalyn Ponga (1/1)

See how it happened in our Match Centre