WRAP: 2023 Betfred Super League Playoffs - Eliminators

Embed from Getty Images

A wrap of the first weekend of the Super League playoffs with Justin Davies and RLP.

All listed times are AEST (NSW/QLD/VIC/ACT).

RELATED: See the full list of 2023 Betfred Super League Draw and Results.

Hull KR win through to semis and eliminate Leigh Leopards

Hull KR moved through to the semifinals with their 20-6 win over Leigh Leopards at Craven Park on Friday night.

It was a fiercely fought encounter between these two sides with their seasons on the line which saw them cancel each other out early.

The visitors were the first side to hit the scoreboard. Hull KR were penalised in possession which allowed Ben Reynolds to pilot through the penalty and make it 2-0 Leigh.

Hull KR levelled up the game after getting their own penalty. The high tackle allowed the NRL bound Brad Schneider to make it 2-all.

From there, Hull KR found their rhythm. They chained together some passing before Jack Walker dived over close to the sticks.

They made it 14-6 at the break from some smart play from Matt Purcell. He snatched the ball from the Leigh back then it was fed to Ryan Hall to go over.

Coming out of the break, Hull KR felt just fine. Schneider decided to run on last then slung the pass out to Sam Luckley to put them ahead by three scores.

Leigh did get themselves a four-pointer through winger Josh Charnley. It was a sweeping backline movement which ended with Charnley touching down for 18-6.

The hosts added a second penalty goal to confirm their win. Another high tackle sent up Schneider again who raised the flags.

Despite their loss, it has been a wonderful first season of the rebrand for Leigh. The Leopards won the Challenge Cup against this opposition and finished in the top four.

Hull KR 20 (S. Luckley, M. Parcell, J. Walker tries; B. Schneider 4 goals) defeated Leigh 6 (J. Charnley try; B. Reynolds goal) at Sewell Group Craven Park.

Date: Fri, 29th September.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: Hull KR 14-2.   Penalties: Hull KR 6-4.   Referee: Jack Smith.

Hull KR: Walker, Senior, Opacic, Kenny-Dowall, Hall; Lewis, Schneider; King, Parcell, Sue, Batchelor, Linnett, Minchella. Int: Abdull, Litten, Storton, Luckley.
Leigh: O'Brien, Briscoe, Gildart, Chamberlain, Charnley; Reynolds, Lam; Amone, Ipape, Mulhern, Hughes, O'Donnell, Wardle. Int: Mellor, Davis, Nakubuwai, Holmes.

Saints march past Wolves into semi finals

St Helens beat Warrington Wolves 16-8 in their elimination final at Totally Wicked Stadium on Saturday night.

The three-time champions remain on course to add another title to their cabinet after making it through to the semi-finals.

It also means the dream ending for James Roby remains on course and made his last home game a winning one against the Wolves.

The Saints came out of the blocks firing. They had a pair of early chances which went to ground as the Wolves defense survived.

They did break the Wolves resistance eventually. Curtis Sironen busted through and positioned Lewis Dodd to touch down and make it 6-0.

Saints would take an eight point advantage into the break after Josh Drinkwater's dangerous tackle. Mark Percival stepped up to pilot through the conversion.

Coming out of the break, Warrington felt just fine. Connor Wrench rampaged down the right side and shrugged off a defender to make it 8-6.

The visitors were boosted further after Alex Warmsley was binned for a high shot. Another penalty further down the field allowed Stefan Ratchford to tie the game.

St Helens survived the rest of the bin period and struck back. Jack Welsby poked his nose through then offloaded for Tommy Makinson to score in the corner.

Right from the kick-off, it was Warrington's turn for a sin bin. Joe Bullock was binned for a high tackle on Matty Lees.

Mid-season signing Moses Mbye created a break which helped Saints make it 18-6. Another high shot allowed Percival to kick his fourth of the game.

Saints held off the Wolves in the late stages to book their spot in the Super League semi-finals and their chance for four straight titles.

St Helens 16 (L. Dodd, T. Makinson tries; M. Percival 4 goals) defeated Warrington 8 (C. Wrench try; S. Ratchford 2 goals) at Totally Wicked Stadium.

Date: Sat, 30th September.   Kickoff: 12:45 PM.   Halftime: St Helens 8-0.   Penalties: Warrington 7-6.   Referee: Ben Thaler.   Crowd: 13,801.

St Helens: Welsby, Makinson, Percival, Hopoate, Bennison; Lomax, Dodd; Lees, Roby, Mata'utia, Batchelor, Sironen, Knowles. Int: Walmsley, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Bell, Mbye.
Warrington: Dufty, Russell, Wrench, Ratchford, Ashton; Williams, Drinkwater; Harrison, Walker, Kasiano, Currie, Nicholson, Crowther. Int: Mata'utia, Clark, Philbin, Bullock.

Next week - Semi Finals

Times venue local

Catalans vs. St Helens at Stade Gilbert Brutu. Perpignan.
Date: Fri, 6th October.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   

Wigan vs. Hull KR at DW Stadium.
Date: Sat, 7th October.   Kickoff: 12:45 PM.