WRAP: 2024 Betfred Super League Round 8


Rob's wrap of all six Super League games from Round 8 is in - get all the key details from each match along with the current table and stats leaders.

All listed times are BST (UK local)

RELATED: See the full list of 2024 Betfred Super League Draw and Results.

Wigan Warriors 36 Castleford Tigers 14
Venue: DW Stadium, Wigan

Date: Fri, 19th April.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: Wigan 12-8.   Referee: James Vella.   Crowd: 13,029.

Wigan: French, Miski, Keighran, Wardle, Marshall; Hampshire, Smith; Thompson, Leeming, Dupree, Nsemba, Farrell (C), Ellis. Int: Cooper, Mago, Hill, Eckersley.
Castleford: Broadbent, Senior, Hodson, Wood, Senior; Milnes, Miller; Watts, Horne, Hall, Tasipale, El-Zakhem, Hill. Int: Robb, Martin, Kibula, Hindmarsh-Takyi.

Wigan Warriors (36)
Tries: Ryan Hampshire 2, Liam Marshall 2, Bevan French, Abbas Miski
Goals: Harry Smith 4/4, Adam Keighran 2/2

Castleford Tigers (14)
Tries: Louis Senior, Rowan Milnes
Goals: Rowan Milnes 3/3

Wigan Warriors defeated the Castleford Tigers for the second weekend in a row, after last weekend's 60-6 cup win, but the Tigers but up more of a fight in this game.

Wigan needed two tries each from Ryan Hampshire and Liam Marshall to see off Castleford, 36-14.

Wigan opened the scoring through Bevan French, after 8 minutes, with quick hands from right to left eventually finding Liam Farrell, who broke through the line. He engaged full back, Jack Broadbent, for just long enough to create the space to pass to Bevan French to score, with Adam Keighran kicking the conversion.

But Castleford struck back in the 19th minute, after Wigan's attacking kick bobbled around, the Tigers reacted quickest, and new signing Louis Senior raced ninety metres to score under the posts, with Rowan Milnes levelling with the conversion.

The scores remained level until the 35th minute, when Harry Smith's clever chip over the defence found Marshall, who touched down in the corner. But a Milnes penalty right on the stroke of half time meant the Tigers were very much in the game, with Wigan leading 12-8 at half time. 

However, Ryan Hampshire's quickfire double at the start of the second half gave Wigan a comfortable lead. His first try came after Bevan French broke the line, before passing inside for Hampshire to score under the posts. The second came thanks to some quick thinking from Liam Marshall, who kicked back inside from the left wing, which Hampshire collected to score under the posts for a second time, with both tries converted by Harry Smith.

Liam Marshall then grabbed his second try of the game, getting on the end of a lovely looping pass from Liam Farrell to score in the corner, which Smith converted to give Wigan a dominant 30-8 lead. 

Abbas Miski put the game well out of reach, scoring in the corner after collecting Bevan French's kick through, with Smith again converting. Rowan Milnes scored a late consolation for the Tigers, collecting his own kick through after Harry Smith failed to deal with the bouncing ball, but it was too late for the Tigers to mount a comeback.

Wigan remain in the running for silverware on all fronts, with twelve points from their opening seven games. Castleford remain on one win, with only Hull FC and London Broncos below them in the table. 

Leeds Rhinos 24 Huddersfield Giants 30
Venue: AMT Headingley Stadium, Leeds

Date: Fri, 19th April.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: Leeds 12-2.   Referee: Chris Kendall.   Crowd: 13,128.

Leeds: Miller, Fusitu'a, Newman, Momirovski, Roberts; Croft, Frawley; Oledzki, Ackers, Sangaré, McDonnell, Martin, Smith (C). Int: Lisone, Nicholson-Watton, O'Connor, Goudemand.
Huddersfield: Connor, Swift, Marsters, Naiqama, Wallis; Lolohea, Clune; English, Milner, Greenwood, Cudjoe, Livett, Yates (C). Int: Golding, Wilson, Rushton, Ikahihifo.

Leeds Rhinos (24)
Tries: Paul Momirovski 2, David Fusitu'a, Jarrod O'Connor
Goals: Rhyse Martin 4/4

Huddersfield Giants (30)
Tries: Kevin Naiqama, Adam Swift, Esan Marsters, Harvey Livett, Elliot Wallis, Adam Clune
Goals: Jake Connor 3/8

Huddersfield Giants produced a stirring second half comeback, twice overturning a 12-point deficit, to shock Leeds Rhinos at AMT Headingley.

Leeds looked set for victory at half time, and again at the midway point in the second half, before Huddersfield's rousing comeback.

Leeds had the best of the opening exchanges and looked like a side who had enjoyed a 10-day break between games. Huddersfield, on the other hand, were slow out of the gates, and Leeds opened the scoring in the 16th minute.

Lachie Miller fielded a Huddersfield kick, and appeared to be pinned in the corner, near the Leeds line. But some sharp footwork saw him escape the Huddersfield, setting up a Leeds break, which was finished by Paul Momirovski after a strong run from Rhyse Martin. 

Leeds then extended their lead in the 32nd minute, taking advantage of Giants loose forward Luke Yates being sent to the sin bin for a high tackle. Returning winger, David Fusitu'a picked up Brodie Croft's pinpoint grubber kick to score in the corner. Rhyse Martin was on target with both conversions to give Leeds a 12-0 lead. 

Jake Connor's penalty goal on the stroke of half time got Huddersfield on the scoresheet, meaning Leeds led 12-2 at half time, and Huddersfield raced out of the blocks after half time, scoring their first try through the impressive Esan Marsters. Marster's combination with Adam Swift was electric and they consistently troubled the right edge of the Leeds defence.

In the act of defending Marsters' try, both right centre, Harry Newman, and right winger, David Fusitu'a, seemed to pick up injuries, with both limping back into position for the restart. Huddersfield took full advantage of this, quickly shifting the ball to their left wing, with Adam Swift breaking the line and racing deep into the Leeds half.

Whilst Swift was denied, Leeds only delayed the inevitable, as Huddersfield worked the ball right to Elliot Wallis, who dived in to score in the corner. Connor kicked one of the two conversions to level the scores at 12-12, and Fusitu'a and Newman were both substituted, forcing Leeds to reshuffle their backs. 

The change seemed to spark Leeds into life, and they quickly scored two tries to re-establish their lead. First, Momirovski, now playing on the right wing, scored his second of the game after a quick passing move. Then Matt Frawley found substitute Jarrod O'Connor, who burst through a gap in the Huddersfield defence to score in the 55th minute. Martin kicked both goals and, at this stage, Leeds looked like they would take home the points. 

But a late four try salvo from the Giants stunned Leeds. First, after Marsters barrelled through the Leeds defence once again, Adam Swift picked up the ball from dummy half to score in the corner, taking advantage of some sloppy Leeds defence. The Giants then took advantage of Leeds' paper-thin right edge once again, with Marsters and Swift combining again, before Swift offloaded to Harvey Livett for a simple try.

Huddersfield levelled the scores in the 70th minute, after a brilliant pass from Adam Clune found Jake Connor, whose quick hands tipped the ball on to Kevin Naiqama, who stepped inside to score. However, Jake Connor missed the conversion, to mean Leeds were still in the game. 

However, with 5 minutes left to play, Lachie Miller inexplicably attempted a short goal line drop out, which failed to go the required ten metres. This gave Huddersfield an easy penalty from in front of the posts, which Connor converted to give them a late lead. Clune's late interception try was the cherry on the cake for the Giants, who thoroughly deserved the win.

The defeat was met with a mixture of shock and resignation by the few Rhinos fans who remained in the stands at the end of the game, and there was a smattering of boos. Huddersfield's win opens a 2-point gap with Leeds, whose season is running out of steam before the first May bank holiday. Having invested heavily in the off season, Rohan Smith's position may come under pressure if results do not improve quickly.

St Helens 58 Hull FC 0
Venue: Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Date: Fri, 19th April.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: St Helens 24-0.   Referee: Tom Grant.   Crowd: 10,488.

St Helens: Bennison, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Blake; Welsby, Lomax (C); Mata'utia, Mbye, Lees, Whitley, Batchelor, Knowles. Int: Bell, Sironen, Delaney, Davies.
Hull FC: Moy, McIntosh, Litten, Sutcliffe, Martin; Charles, Smith; Ese'ese, Houghton (C), Pele, Lane, Scott, Cator. Int: Gardiner, Jebson, Balmforth, Laidlaw.

St Helens (58)
Tries: Waqa Blake 2, Jonny Lomax, Thomas Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Curtis Sironen, Mark Percival, Joe Batchelor, James Bell, Jack Welsby
Goals: Mark Percival 6/7, Jon Bennison 3/3

Hull FC (0)

St Helens bounced back from their cup defeat against Warrington to put a beleaguered Hull FC side to the sword.

The Saints ran in ten tries in a dazzling performance, consigning Hull FC to a seventh defeat of the season.

Tommy Makinson opened the scoring for Saints in the fourth minute, taking in a short pass from Konrad Hurrell and diving into the right corner to score, with Mark Percival adding the conversion. Saints were then when Sione Mata'utia took in a smart inside pass to break the line, before finding Jonny Lomax to run in to score from twenty metres out, with Percival again adding the extras.

Waqa Blake was the next to score, in the 27th minute, after a great offload from Matt Whitley found Jack Welsby, who passed to the winger to score in the corner. James Bell then crashed over from close range to add Saints' fourth, with Percival maintaining his 100% record, to make the score 24-0 at half time. FC's defence parted in front of the forward's eyes, and he raced through to score. 

The half time break did not help Hull FC, who were never in the contest. Saints quickly scored the first try of the second half, through Joe Batchelor. Percival then grabbed a try from himself, getting on the end of a flowing passing move from right to left to score. Percival scored one of the two conversions, as the Saints extended their lead to 34-0.

 Powerhouse centre, Konrad Hurrell, ran in virtually unopposed to score Saints' next try, which Percival converted, before Curtis Sironen exposed the same defensive weakness to brush off four defenders to score. 

Waqa Blake scored his second of the night in the right-hand corner, after Percival delayed his pass long enough to draw in the FC defence, before finding the winger in acres of space for a simple run in. 

Jack Welsby scored the Sanits' final try of the night, joining the attacking line with two Hull FC defenders drawn to the lead runners. Jon Bennison, taking over the kicking duties from Percival, was successful with the conversions for the final three tries, to make the score 60-0.

St Helens will to be pleased to have bounced back so comprehensively from their cup defeat last weekend. For Hull FC, if performances stay at this level, it is hard to see where their next win comes from. 

Warrington Wolves 16 Leigh Leopards 14
Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

Date: Sat, 20th April.   Kickoff: 3:00 PM.   Halftime: Leigh 10-6.   Referee: Liam Moore.   Crowd: 10,443.

Warrington: Dufty, Thewlis, King, Wrench, Ashton; Williams, Hayes; Harrison, Walker, Philbin, Nicholson, Fitzgibbon, Crowther. Int: Bullock, Ratchford, Powell, Vaughan.
Leigh: Moylan, Hanley, Hardaker, Leutele, Charnley; McNamara, Lam; Amone, Davis, Mulhern, O'Donnell, Halton, Trout. Int: Hughes, Norman, Dwyer, Holmes.

Warrington Wolves (16)
Tries: Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Matt Dufty, Matthew Nicholson
Goals: Josh Thewlis 2/3

Leigh Leopards (14)
Tries: Ricky Leutele, Josh Charnley, Ben McNamara
Goals: Matt Moylan 1/3

Warrington Wolves produced a second half comeback to survive a scare against strugglers Leigh Leopards, eventually winning 16-14.

Leigh produced a much-improved performance, and pushed the Wolves close, but a 70th minute try from Matty Nicholson sealed a home win for the Wolves. 

Leigh started the game in red hot fashion, opening the scoring through winger Josh Charnley in the third minute. Charnley produced a trademark diving finish in the corner to mark his 350th career appearance with a try, after a slick passing move. 

However, Lachlan Fitzgibbon struck back for Warrington in the 21st minute, latching on to Leon Hayes' grubber to score. Josh Thewlis added the extras to give Warrington a 6-4 lead. 

Leigh took the lead before half time, with a try from Ben McNamara. Leigh identified a mismatch in defence, with winger Umyla Hanley outjumping Leon Hayes to tip the ball back to Zak Hardaker. Hardaker found McNamara whose try was confirmed by the video referee. Moylan kicked his only goal of the night, something Leigh would live to regret at full time. This score meant Leigh led 10-6 at half time. 

The Leopards then extended their lead in the 48th minute, with Ricky Leutele scoring the first try of the second half. Having shifted the ball from left to right, Josh Charnley passed the ball back inside to centre, Leutele, to give Leigh a 14-6 lead, and apparent control of the game, but Moylan's missed conversion kept Warrington in touch.

Warrington pulled a try back through Matt Dufty, after a Moylan knock on gave them the ball near halfway. Thewlis converted to put Warrington back within two points and set the stage for Nicholson's spectacular match sealing try. 

With the ball deep inside Warrington territory, Matt Dufty released Thewlis who broke deep into Leigh territory. Nicholson kept up in support and was released by Thewlis, before holding off the covering defence to score and seal the victory for Warrington.

Leigh will hope to take the momentum from a better performance forward in their search for a second win of the season. Warrington's win keeps them in touch with the top of the table, level on points with St Helens and Wigan on twelve points, and two points behind leaders Catalans Dragons. 

London Broncos 4 Salford Red Devils 12
Venue: The Cherry Red Records Stadium, Wimbledon

Date: Sat, 20th April.   Kickoff: 3:00 PM.   Halftime: Salford 6-4.   Referee: Aaron Moore.   

London: Walker, Kershaw, Storey, Miloudi, Macani; Leyland, Meadows; Kennedy, Davis, Butler, Lovell (C), Jones, Stock. Int: Parata, Williams, Makin, Tison.
Salford: Brierley, Ryan, Macdonald, Lafai, Cross; Cust, Sneyd; Ormondroyd, Mellor, Vuniyayawa, Wright, Watkins (C), Partington. Int: Atkin, Shorrocks, Dixon, Dudson.

London Broncos (4)
Tries: Iliess Macani

Salford Red Devils (12)
Tries: Kallum Watkins, Deon Cross
Goals: Marc Sneyd 2/2

Salford Red Devils overcame a spirited London side, to seal a narrow win at the Cherry Red Records Stadium.

London have been on the wrong end of some heavy home defeats this season and, although favourites Salford eventually ran out winners, the margin of victory was much closer than many expected. 

It was the Broncos who took an early lead. Oli Leyland, who has been one of the standout players in a difficult season for London, looped a pass over the Salford defence for winger Illies Macani to score in the corner, with the conversion missed. This gave London a 4-0 lead in the 18th minute. 

Salford responded quickly, through second rower Kallum Watkins. Influential Red Devils full back, Ryan Brierley, broke London's defensive line, and Watkins showed good pace to get up to support Brierley, who found the veteran to score. Marc Sneyd made no mistake from the kicking tee to give Salford a slender lead. 

Salford started the second half strong, extending their lead in the 44th minute, after Marc Sneyd's brilliant, long-distance pass to the left wing found Deon Cross to score in the corner. Sneyd was again on target with the conversion, scoring the game's final points in the 44th minute. 

A tense closing period followed in which both sides attempted to strike a decisive blow, with Salford having a try ruled out by the video referee. Hakim Miloudi's break at late in the game saw the Broncos advance fifty metres down field, but Macani's chip ultimately found a Salford player's hands and the game ended with a Salford win.

The win keeps Salford in touch with the top six, with five wins from their first eight games, and opens up a 2-point gap with Leeds in eighth. For London, their wait for a first win of the season continues, but they can be proud of a resilient performance. If they can continue to perform like that, it will surely come soon. 

Catalans Dragons 36 Hull KR 6
Venue: Stade Gilbert Brutus, Perpignan

Date: Sat, 20th April.   Kickoff: 5:30 PM (6:30 PM CEST).   Halftime: Catalans 26-6.   Referee: Jack Smith.   Crowd: 8,583.

Catalans: Mourgue, Davies, Romano, Ikuvalu, Johnstone; Rougé, Fages; Bousquet, McIlorum, Navarrete, Sims, McMeeken, Garcia (C). Int: Nikorima, Sironen, Satae, Dezaria.
Hull KR: Evalds, Burgess, Hiku, Opacic, Hall; Reynolds, May; Whitbread, Litten, King, Hadley, Batchelor, Minchella (C). Int: Parcell, Luckley, Storton, Tanginoa.

Catalans Dragons (36)
Tries: Mike McIlorum, Tariq Sims, Théo Fages, Tom Johnstone, Jordan Dezaria, Tom Davies, Matt Ikuvalu
Goals: Arthur Mourgue 4/7

Hull Kingston Rovers (6)
Tries: Joe Burgess
Goals: Ben Reynolds 1/1

Play off hopefuls Hull Kingston Rovers travelled to the south of France to face the Catalans Dragons, with the two sides on having experienced contrasting fortunes in the cup last weekend.

The Robins came into the game fresh from avenging last year's final defeat, by knocking out Leigh, whereas the Dragons were beaten heavily at home by Huddersfield.

Catalans hooker Michael McIlorum opened the scoring for Les Dracs, touching down after 7 minutes, crashing over from dummy half, despite pressure from two Hull KR defenders. Artur Mourgue added the extras to open up a 6-0 lead.

Joe Burgess got the Robins back into the game, scoring his side's first try in the 11th minute. The Robins moved the ball from left to right and found Burgess on the wing. Burgess showed all of his strength to hold off two Catalans defenders to score in the corner. Ben Reynolds added the extras to level the scores.

Matt Ikuvalu put the Dragons back in the lead, scoring in the 18th minute. The side form Perpignan moved the ball to the left wing, to find winger Tom Davies in space. Davis had Ikuvalu on the inside, with Ikuvalu running in unopposed to score. Mourgue missed the conversion to keep Hull KR within four points. 

The Catalans extended their lead in the 25th minute, through a flying finish from winger Tom Davies. The Dragons worked the ball wide to Davies, who carried the ball in one handed, before leaping into the corner to score. Mourgue was off target from the touch line, meaning the Dragons led 14-6.

Catalans were now beginning to turn the screw on the KR defence, and a six again granted them good field position in opposition territory. The pressure eventually told when French forward, Jordan Dezaria, muscled his way over from score range. Mourgue was on target from in front of the posts to extend their lead to 20-6.

At this stage, the Dragons were running riot, and scored again in the 21st minute. Mourgue attacked the line, passing to Artur Romano. Romano found Theo Fages, who ran in to score a brilliant try, with Mourgue kicking the conversion to put Catalans in a dominant 20-point lead at half time, despite some late Hull KR pressure. 

The two sides traded sets in a tense start to the second half, with KR keen not to make a mistake which may but the Dragons out of touch, and Catalans reluctant to open the door to KR. But the Robins were reduced to twelve men, as Matty Storton was penalised for a crusher tackle on Tom Johnstone. The Robins held strong though, not conceding during the 10 minutes that Storton was off the field.

But the Catalans eventually broke through KR's resolute defence, with a brilliant Mourgue pass finding Romano, who passed to Tom Johnstone to score in the corner, and put the game beyond KR's reach. Mourgue hit the post from the conversion, meaning the score stayed at 30-6 with 9 minutes to go.

Tariq Sims scored the game's final try in unusual circumstances, charging down Tyrone May's attempted kick through, before kicking the ball thirty metres forward, before touching down to seal a fine win after an excellent performance from the French side. Mourgue added a simple final conversion, making the final score 36-6.

The victory gives Catalans a 2-point lead at the top of the table, with just one defeat from their opening eight games. Defeat for Hull KR means they drop back from the top four, remaining on ten points, level with Huddersfield and Salford. 

Round 8 table

2St Helens8602013812
5Hull KR850306910
11Hull FC81070-2242

RELATED: Click here to view the current Betfred Super League table.

Stats leaders

Most tries
1Liam MarshallWigan69
1Adam SwiftHuddersfield89
3Matt DuftyWarrington88
4Ash HandleyLeeds77
4Innes SeniorCastleford87
6Bevan FrenchWigan66
6Jack WelsbySt Helens86
6Peta HikuHull KR86
Most goals
1Marc SneydSalford831 / 3297%
2Arthur MourgueCatalans728 / 3482%
3Rhyse MartinLeeds824 / 2886%
4Stefan RatchfordWarrington419 / 2190%
4Harry SmithWigan619 / 2770%
6Matt MoylanLeigh717 / 2568%
Most points
1Arthur MourgueCatalans7328-68
2Marc SneydSalford8131167
3Rhyse MartinLeeds8124-52
4Josh ThewlisWarrington7513-46
5Stefan RatchfordWarrington4119-42
5Harry SmithWigan6119-42
7Mark PercivalSt Helens6216-40

Thanks to Rugby League Project!