WRAP: 2024 Betfred Super League Round 11


Round 11 has come and gone - check out how each match played out together with a full wrap by Rob McHugh for all six fixtures. Includes current table and stats leaders!

All listed times are BST.

RELATED: See the full list of 2024 Betfred Super League Draw and Results.

Warrington 20 (T. King 2 tries; J. Thewlis 4 goals) defeated Hull KR 8 (J. Broadbent, M. Lewis tries) at Halliwell Jones Stadium.
Date: Thu, 9th May.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: Warrington 18-4.   Penalties: Warrington 6-3.   Referee: James Vella.   Crowd: 8,578.

Warrington: Dufty, Thewlis, King, Tai, Ashton; Williams (C), Drinkwater; Harrison, Walker, Vaughan, Nicholson, Fitzgibbon, Currie. Int: Philbin, Musgrove, Crowther, Powell.
Hull KR: Evalds, Burgess, Hiku, Broadbent, Hall; May, Lewis; Sue, Litten, Whitbread, Tanginoa, Batchelor (C), Hadley. Int: King, Parcell, Storton, Brown.

Round 11 in Super League got underway with a contest between two of the competition's in form sides. Both Hull KR and Warrington have Challenge Cup semi-finals on the horizon, and it is the Wolves who will go into their game on the back of a win. Their victory was largely down to a dominant first half performance, in which Warrington could have put the game beyond doubt much sooner.

Warrington opened the scoring after six minutes, through centre Toby King. With a central play the ball, 30 meters from goal, the Wire exploited a hole in the left edge of the KR defence, working the ball out to Matty Ashton on the wing. Ashton then passed back inside to his centre, King, who touched down to open the scoring. Josh Thewlis kicked the conversion to give Warrington a six-point lead. 

They extended their lead after 11 minutes, and Hull KR's right-edge defence was becoming a real problem. This time, the move was almost identical, however it was King who passed outside to Ashton. Ashton went for the corner, but in the process, KR winger Joe Burgess was deemed to have hit Ashton high when attempting to stop the try, which forced Ashton's foot into touch. A penalty try was, therefore, awarded, giving Thewlis a simple kick in front of the posts, which he did not miss. 

The game was threatening to run away from KR at this point, as Warrington another try down their left edge in the 26th minute. King was on the scoresheet again, stepping through three attempted tackles from 20 metres out to score his second of the game, with Peta Hiku singled out for criticism for his defensive effort. Thewlis made no mistake with the conversion to extend the Warrington lead to 18-0.

Warrington missed several golden opportunities to extend their lead during the course of the half, and they were left to rue these missed opportunities when KR scored before halftime to cut the deficit and give themselves a foothold in the game. Mikey Lewis engaged the line then found Kelepi Tanginoa, who offloaded well to full-back Niall Evalds. Evalds then passed to Jack Broadbent, who stepped inside the full-back to score his second try in as many weeks. Lewis missed the conversion, to make the score 18-4 at halftime.

The Robins looked like a new side after the break and opened the scoring in the second half through Mikey Lewis. Lewis' attempted kick through was blocked and bounced back into the half-back's hands. He then scooted around the edge of the Warrington defence to score in the left corner. Crucially, the kick was missed, meaning KR remained 10 points behind.

This breathing space allowed Warrington to keep KR at arm's length. After scoring their second, the Robins never really threatened to overturn the deficit. A late penalty following a failed short drop out attempt by Hull KR meant Warrington added two points with the last kick of the game. KR were left ruing missing the opportunity to top the Super League table for the first time in their history.

St Helens 60 (W. Blake 3, J. Bell 2, J. Welsby 2, L. Dodd, J. Lomax, S. Mata'utia, M. Percival tries; M. Percival 8 goals) defeated Castleford 4 (L. Senior try) at The Jungle, Castleford.
Date: Fri, 10th May.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: St Helens 8-4.   Penalties: St Helens 6-5.   Referee: Jack Smith.   Crowd: 7,869.

Castleford: Hoy, Senior, Hall, Wood, Senior; Milnes, Miller; Watts, McShane (C), Westerman, Mellor, El-Zakhem, Hill. Int: Horne, Griffin, Robb, Eseh.
St Helens: Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Blake; Lomax (C), Dodd; Mata'utia, Clark, Lees, Sironen, Batchelor, Bell. Int: Mbye, Wingfield, Delaney, Stephens.

A blow-out scoreline in St Helens' favour belies a topsy turvy contest which was in the balance for large parts of the contest. The game was influenced by two red cards which changed the complexion of the match. St Helens eventually emerged victorious, thanks to a Waqa Blake hat trick, and eight tries in 28 minutes in the second half.

Saints rushed into an early lead through Sione Mata'utia. Castleford full-back, Tex Hoy, was unable to deal with a Lewis Dodd kick through, which then bounced back into the arms of Mata'utia, who touched down. The kick was missed, and Saints lead 4-0 in the 4th minute. However, Saints were soon reduced to 12 men, after Tommy Makinson received a red card for a high shot on Hoy. The incident occurred in the build up to Innes Senior having a try ruled out by the video referee.

But the Saints then extended their lead. Playing the ball near halfway, Jonny Lomax attacked the blindside and passed to Mark Percival. Percival then passed back inside to Lomax, who saw off the attentions of several Castleford defenders before barging over Hoy to score in the left corner. Percival's missed conversion made the score 8-0 to Saints.

Castleford scored their first try of the night just before halftime. After a slick move from left to right, Innes Senior succeeded where brother Louis failed, holding off two defenders to score in the right-hand corner in the 38th minute. The conversion was missed, which meant the scoreline at half time was 8-4 in Saints' favour. Few could have predicted what would happen next at this stage.

Saints started the second half fast, and Daryl Clark was instrumental in their first try. He scooped the ball up from dummy half in his own half and broke the Tigers' defensive line. Clark then, unselfishly, passed inside to Jack Welsby, rather than attempting to beat last-man Hoy, and Welsby went in to score under the posts. Percival was on target with the kick.

The game then swung decisively in Saints' favour, as Castleford were also reduced to 12 men. Liam Horne was rightly sent off for a dangerous tip tackle, which opened the door for Saints to strike. First, Percival got onto the end of a clever Lomax kick through, and reacted fastest when the covering Castleford defender dropped the ball in-goal. Then, having broken 30 metres downfield, Konrad Hurrell put in Blake for his first try of the night. 

Hurrell repeated the trick a few minutes later, breaking through on halfway. This time he passed inside to Welsby who went over for another Saints score. James Bell then grabbed a quickfire brace. His first came after Castleford failed to deal with another kick. Lomax picked up the bouncing ball and passed outside to Bell for a simple score. Then Bell sidestepped through a broken Castleford line to score from 10 metres out.

At this point, Castleford were falling apart. Blake produced an acrobatic finish to score his second of the night, leaping over the covering Castleford defence to touch down in the corner. Percival then crashed through a gaping hole in the Castleford line on halfway, before passing inside to Lewis Dodd to score the simplest of tries. 

There was just enough time for Blake to complete his hat trick with the last action of the game, diving into the corner after collecting another Hurrell pass. Percival kicked eight conversions and one penalty on the night to round off the scoring at 60-4. Castleford head coach, Craig Lingard, spoke furiously in his post-match press conference. He will have some work to do to pick up his broken players after such a spectacular second half capitulation.

Leigh 40 (J. Charnley 2, U. Hanley 2, M. Davis, B. Dwyer, L. Lam tries; Z. Hardaker 4, M. Moylan 2 goals) defeated Salford 12 (R. Brierley, T. Lafai tries; M. Sneyd 2 goals) at Leigh Sports Village Stadium.
Date: Fri, 10th May.   Kickoff: 8:05 PM.   Halftime: Leigh 16-6.   Penalties: Leigh 5-3.   Referee: Liam Moore.   Crowd: 8,103.

Leigh: Moylan, Hanley, Hardaker, Leutele, Charnley; McNamara, Lam (C); Amone, Ipape, Mulhern, O'Donnell, Halton, Trout. Int: Dwyer, Davis, Hughes, Chamberlain.
Salford: Brierley, Ryan, Macdonald, Lafai, Cross; Atkin, Sneyd; Singleton, Cust, Ormondroyd, Stone, Watkins (C), Partington. Int: Bourouh, Vuniyayawa, Hellewell, Hankinson.

Josh Charnley scored the 300th try of his career as Leigh brushed aside the Salford Red Devils, boosting their faint hopes of making the play-offs in the process. It has been a difficult few weeks for Leigh, as a number of their star players have announced they will leave the club at the end of the season. Head coach, Adrian Lam, is also being linked with a move away. However, this result is a statement from a side which has underperformed so far this season.

Umyla Hanley, one player who has agreed an extended deal to stay at the club, opened the scoring for Leigh after six minutes. Matt Moylan skirted across the Salford line 20 metres out, before finding Hanley, who had cut in from his wing. Hanley's angled run allowed him to stroll through a gap in the Salford line to score. Moylan converted to make the score 6-0.

Moylan was again involved in the second try, with his pass from right to left, finding Lachlan Law, whose pinpoint kick to the corner was picked up by Charnley to score in the 13th minute. Moylan added the extras to give Leigh a 12-point lead. Salford struck back soon after, as Ryan Brierley collected a good offload from veteran, Kallum Watkins, to score after 20 minutes. But Hanley's second try of the game restored Leigh's cushion going into half time. Hanley took in a brilliant, looped pass from Lam to score in the corner.

The second half was a much more one-sided affair, as the Leopards turned on the style and put Salford to the sword. Charnley's 300th career try was one to remember, as he collected the ball 20 metres from his own line. He swatted off the attempted Salford tacklers and raced through to score and etch his name in the record books in the process. Although Ryan Hall will soon surpass Danny McGuire as Super League's all time leading try scorer, it is surely only a matter of time before Charnley holds the record. 

Matt Davies scored Leigh's next try in the 48th minute, collecting a dab through to score from close range. Brad Dwyer then scored from a trademark scoot from dummy half, bursting through the line to dive over under the posts from 10 metres out. Dwyer then turned provider for Lam, scooting from dummy half again before putting Lam over to score. Zak Hardaker took over kicking duties from Moylan, and kicked four from four in the second half, as Leigh stretched out into an unassailable lead.

Tim Lafai scored Salford's second try late on, stepping around Hardaker and running 30 metres to score, but it was too late for a Salford comeback, as Leigh won 40-12. Leigh remain seven points behind sixth placed Salford, however it moves them up to three wins and they appear to be a side with real momentum. Having finished fourth last year, they are capable of sustaining a play-off push and could be outsiders this year.

Wigan 48 (L. Marshall 3, B. French 2, A. Miski 2, K. Leeming tries; H. Smith 8 goals) defeated Huddersfield 6 (E. Wallis try; J. Connor goal) at John Smith's Stadium.
Date: Sat, 11th May.   Kickoff: 3:00 PM.   Halftime: Wigan 12-6.   Penalties: Wigan 5-4.   Referee: Aaron Moore.   Crowd: 5,334.

Huddersfield: Connor, Halsall, Marsters, Naiqama, Wallis; Lolohea, Clune; Wilson, Milner, English, Rushton, Cudjoe, Yates (C). Int: Greenwood, Hewitt, Golding, Ikahihifo.
Wigan: Field, Miski, Keighran, Wardle, Marshall; French, Smith; Thompson, O'Neill, Byrne, Nsemba, Farrell (C), Ellis. Int: Havard, Mago, Leeming, Dupree.

Wigan Warriors comfortably saw off a Huddersfield Giants side whose own play-off aspirations appear to be stumbling. The Giants were a side with real momentum, however a narrow defeat to St Helens, followed by losses against Salford and Wigan means they have work to do to remain competitive. Liam Marshall's hat trick of tries secured the points for the Cherry and Whites.

A frantic opening period saw Wigan forward, Liam Byrne, receive a yellow card in the first minute, for a high tackle from the first tackle of the game. However, Wigan still raced into an early lead, as Liam Marshall intercepted before racing 80 metres to score after two minutes. Harry Smith kicked the extras to give Wigan a 6-0 lead. 

The Giants struck back after 14 minutes, with a spectacular try of their own. Elliot Wallis picked up the ball deep in his own half and set off on a mazy run which saw him beat half of the Wigan side single-handedly, before turning on the after burners to score under the posts. This would be the only time the Giants were level, however, as Wigan dominated the rest of the game.

Bevan French scored his first try of the night, dummying his was through the Huddersfield line 30 meters from the try line to score a brilliant try. Marshall then bagged his second try of the night, stepping inside off his wing to finish off a flowing move from right to left which involved Smith, French and Jai Field. Field then created French's second try of the night, setting off left, before turning around and running right, timing his pass to perfection, to allow French run onto the ball at pace to score.

Liam Marshall completed his hat trick in the 65th minute, thanks to a flowing Wigan move from inside their own half. Kruise Leeming, who was impressive throughout, offloaded to French who attacked the line, before passing to Field. Field then found Liam Farrell, who passed the ball to Jake Wardle. Wardle then found Marshall who ran in from distance to score.  

A brilliant French offload, out of the back of his hand whilst in the tackle, gave Leeming an easy finish to score his first try of the night in the 68th minute, before a late Abbas Miski double rounded off the scoring for Wigan, after Huddersfield's Esan Marsters was given a yellow card for a trip on French. French exploited this gap fully, by creating Miski's first try with a brilliant miss pass. 

Wigan then went the length of the field to score their final try. Field broke before finding French. French looked set to score himself, however, an ankle tap from Leroy Cudjoe brought him down. Huddersfield's defence could not recover though, and Miski dummied the last defender before cruising home to score. Smith kicked 8 from the tee, including one penalty, to make the final score 48-6.

Catalans 26 (A. Da Costa, T. Davies, T. Johnstone, A. Mourgue tries; A. Mourgue 5 goals) defeated Leeds 0 at Stade Gilbert Brutus.
Date: Sat, 11th May.   Kickoff: 6:30 PM.   Halftime: Catalans 8-0.   Penalties: Catalans 5-4.   Referee: Tom Grant.   Crowd: 9,546.

Catalans: Mourgue, Davies, Romano, Ikuvalu, Johnstone; Nikorima, Abdull; Navarrete, McIlorum (C), Bousquet, Sims, Sironen, McMeeken. Int: Da Costa, Rougé, Satae, Maria.
Leeds: Miller, Edgell, Roberts, Martin, Handley; Frawley, Sinfield; Oledzki, O'Connor, Sangaré, McDonnell, Goudemand, Smith (C). Int: Ackers, Lisone, Ruan, Johnson.

Catalans Dragons comfortably beat a depleted Leeds Rhinos to get their season back on track. The Dragons had struggled in recent weeks, however their win over the Rhinos keeps them level at the top of the table. Leeds' side is missing several key players, after an unfortunate run of injuries. They will be disappointed with their defeat in Perpignan, though, having beaten Les Dracs at Headingley earlier in the season. Two late tries from the Catalans side gave the scoreline a deserved gloss, after Leeds battled hard in a tense game.

Tom Davies scored the only try of a tight first half. Leeds dropped the ball 20 metres from their own line, which gave Les Dracs excellent field position. They only needed one tackle of the set of six to work the ball out to Davies on the right wing, who touched down in the corner. Arthur Mourgue added the extras to give Catalans a 6-0 lead, before adding a penalty in the 19th minute to give Les Dracs an 8-0 lead at half time.

Whilst Leeds were competitive, they lacked a cutting edge and will hope the break provided by the Challenge Cup semi-finals next weekend will help them to get some key personnel back on the field. It was only a matter of time before the Dragons extended their lead, through their other flying winger, Tom Johnstone. With Leeds attacking the Dragons' line, Johnstone intercepted a pass from young half-back, Jack Sinfield, and went 80 metres to score, with Mourgue adding the extras.

Mourgue then produced a spectacular try of his own, stepping through the Leeds line before rounding the full back to score after 77 minutes. He converted his own try to give Les Dracs a 20-0 lead. There was still time for one final Dragons try, through Alrix Da Costa, who darted over to score from dummy half, after playing the ball close to the line. 

London 34 (J. Bassett, L. Kershaw, O. Leyland, J. Meadows, R. Storey, A. Walker tries; O. Leyland 5 goals) defeated Hull FC 18 (Y. Aydin, H. Ese'ese, J. Trueman tries; J. Charles 3 goals) at Cherry Red Records Stadium.
Date: Sun, 12th May.   Kickoff: 3:00 PM.   Halftime: London 16-12.   Penalties: Hull FC 3-2.   Referee: Chris Kendall.   Crowd: 3,225.

London: Walker, Kershaw, Storey, Bassett, Miloudi; Leyland, Meadows; Kennedy, Tison, Adebiyi, Lovell (C), Natoli, Stock. Int: Butler, Bienek, Jones, Makin.
Hull FC: Walker, Briscoe, Scott, Sutcliffe, Martin; Trueman, Charles; Ese'ese, Houghton (C), Aydin, Lane, Sao, Cator. Int: Pele, Smith, Jebson, Chan.

Rugby League fans everywhere, apart from those in West Hull, rejoiced as everyone's second favourite team, London Broncos, won their first game of the season. Winless from the opening and on the receiving end of some heavy defeats, London show great resilience in remaining competitive each week. They finally got their rewards, overcoming Hull FC, whose own season goes from bad to worse. 

After a scoreless opening 20 minutes, Hull FC drew first blood, as Herman Ese'ese opened the scoring. He held his run well, before receiving an inside pass, using his momentum to crash over the line under the posts. Jack Charles added the extras to give Hull a 6-0 lead.

However, London struck back immediately with a converted try of their own to level the scores. Hakim Maloudi was instrumental, evading tackles in his own half, before breaking through. He then found Alex Walker to finish off the try. London then shot themselves in the foot immediately from the restart. FC capitalised on London dropping the ball, and Jake Trueman scored to but the Black and Whites back in control.

However, the Broncos quickly regrouped, and went from six points behind to four points ahead at half time. James Meadows scored the first of the two tries, powering over the line from close range. James Meadows added the extras to level the scores. A quick passing move from London then released Robbie Storey into a space to score. However, Leyland missed this time, making the score 16-12 to London at half-time. 

There was no let up in the intensity in the second half, as the two sides went toe-to-toe. Hull FC's new singing, Yusuf Aydin, added FC's third converted try of the game. But London soon took full control, scoring 18 unanswered points. After Hull were reduced to 12 men, after a late Jordan Lane tackle, Jarred Bassett's mazy run allowed him to touch down in the left corner. Then Lee Kershaw scored in the 62nd minute, after a lengthy review by the video referee. Leyland's conversion gave London a 10-point cushion. 

Leyland has been London's stand out player this season, and it was fitting that he rounded off the scoring with the game's final try. He intercepted the ball in midfield, before touching down in the 69th minute. He added the extras to make the score 34-18, and the London players embraced in joy at the final whistle. Whilst their relegation appears inevitable, they have shown they are capable of competing in Super League and thoroughly deserved their win.

Round 11 table

2St Helens11803017516
5Hull KR1170409314
11Hull FC1110100-2642

RELATED: Click here to view the current Betfred Super League ladder.

RLP stats leaders

Most tries
Rank Player Team P T
1 Liam Marshall Wigan 9 12
2 Adam Swift Huddersfield 10 11
3 Innes Senior Castleford 11 10
4 Jack Welsby St Helens 11 9
Most goals
Rank Player Team P G/A %
1 Marc Sneyd Salford 11 38 / 41 93%
2 Arthur Mourgue Catalans 10 36 / 42 86%
3 Rhyse Martin Leeds 11 34 / 39 87%
4 Harry Smith Wigan 9 32 / 41 78%
=5 Mark Percival St Helens 9 28 / 39 72%
=5 Matt Moylan Leigh 10 28 / 39 72%
Most points
Rank Player Team P T G FG Pts
1 Arthur Mourgue Catalans 10 4 36 - 88
2 Marc Sneyd Salford 11 1 38 2 82
3 Josh Thewlis Warrington 10 8 21 - 74
=4 Harry Smith Wigan 9 2 32 - 72
=4 Rhyse Martin Leeds 11 1 34 - 72
=6 Mark Percival St Helens 9 3 28 - 68
=6 Matt Moylan Leigh 10 3 28 - 68