WRAP: 2024 Betfred Super League Round 16


A wrap up of Super League's 16th round together with recaps from Justin Davies and match stats, table and stats leaders in partnership with Rugby League Project.

RELATED: See the full list of 2024 Betfred Super League Draw and Results.

Warriors get past lasting Leopards 

Wigan Warriors won 24-6 against Leigh Leopards down at the Brick Community Stadium on Friday night. 

The result gives Wigan a four-point cushion at the top of the Super League ladder heading into the final countdown. 

Their first points came from the boot after Robbie Mulhern was binned for a high shot. Adam Keighran raised the flags to make it 2-0 for the hosts. 

The Warriors made use of the man advantage and got their first four points. They swung the ball to the left and found a lingering Bevan French who strode away. 

Leigh held out for the rest of the half to only be down eight. The visitors struck first after the break to get back into the game. 

It was a smart piece of play from Brad Dwyer. He scooped up the ball, feigned to pass then wrestled his way over for 8-6. 

Wigan produced something special to take the advantage to six. They swept the ball left and Liam Marshall flew high and created a typical wingers finish. 

French electrified the game and pushed it out to 18-6. He found space through the middle, kicked for himself and touched down for his 11th of the season. 

The Warriors added one final party piece late in the contest. Jake Wardle sliced through then found Liam Farrell inside to stroll over. 

Wigan Warriors 24 Leigh Leopards 6
Venue: The Brick Community Stadium, Wigan

Date: Fri, 5th July.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: Wigan 8-0.   Penalties: 7-all.   Referee: Aaron Moore.   Crowd: 16,053.

Wigan: French, Miski, Keighran, Wardle, Marshall; Farrimond, Smith; Cooper, O'Neill, Thompson, Nsemba, Farrell (C), Ellis. Int: Havard, Mago, Dupree, Walters.
Leigh: Moylan, Hanley, Hardaker, Leutele, Charnley; O'Brien, Lam (C); Amone, Ipape, Mulhern, O'Donnell, Chamberlain, Trout. Int: Pene, Dwyer, Hughes, Asiata.

Wigan Warriors (24)
Tries: Bevan French 2, Liam Farrell, Liam Marshall
Goals: Adam Keighran 4/5

Leigh Leopards (6)
Tries: Brad Dwyer
Goals: Matt Moylan 1/1

Tigers upset Saints in low-scoring thriller

Castleford Tigers won 8-6 against the ailing St Helens side at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Friday night.

It is a big result for the Tigers who move further away from the relegation spot on the Super League ladder.

For St Helens, they remain in the trio of teams who are on 22 points chasing for spots in the top four.

The first half was a tense affair between the two sides. Chances were at a premium as the two sides scrapped for the points.

St Helens broke the deadlock just before half-time. Sam Royle sliced through the Tigers line and gave the Saints a 4-0 half-time lead.

Royle was involved again to earn St Helens a penalty for a strip close to the line. Mark Percival stepped up and converted for 6-0.

The Tigers did break down the Saints in the second half. The backline move opened up space and Innes Senior touched down.

Castleford levelled things up from the tee. George Delaney clipped Muizz Mustapha high which allowed Rowan Milnes to raise the flags.

The Tigers were getting profit from their high kicks all night and an error from Jack Welsby offered them the win.

Milnes had the kicking duties again. He piloted through the penalty to make it 8-6 Castleford and author a huge upset.

St Helens 6 Castleford Tigers 8
Venue: Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Date: Fri, 5th July.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: St Helens 4-0.   Penalties: St Helens 7-4.   Referee: Tom Grant.   Crowd: 9,808.

St Helens: Welsby, Blake, Davies, Percival, Ritson; Lomax (C), Dodd; Delaney, Mbye, Lees, Sironen, Royle, Bell. Int: Paasi, Burns, Vaughan, Stephens.
Castleford: Hoy, Qareqare, Hall, Mellor, Senior; Milnes, Miller; Griffin, Horne, Mustapha, Lawler, El-Zakhem, Westerman (C). Int: Watts, Robb, Hill, English.

St Helens (6)
Tries: Sam Royle
Goals: Mark Percival 1/1

Castleford Tigers (8)
Tries: Innes Senior
Goals: Rowan Milnes 2/3

Wolves feast on Giants in thrashing

Warrington Wolves won 48-0 against a lowly Huddersfield Giants side at Halliwell Jones Stadium on Friday night.

The Wolves started the onslaught early in the contest. Paul Vaughan kept his legs pumping and rolled over the try-line.

Next, it was a precise kick from Josh Drinkwater which found Toby King in wide open space to touch down for 12-0.

Warrington went right for their third score of the first half. Matt Dufty engaged the line before he sent Connor Wrench across the stripe.

The second half was a procession for the Wolves who had five different tryscorers in the huge win which has them in the top four.

Drinkwater got the party started finishing off a chain of passes to make it 24-0 then George Williams stabbed through a kick for Matty Nicholson to score.

The Wolves just lunged forward on their prey and piled up points. Williams dinked in a kick which Dufty charged onto for 36-0.

Stefan Ratchford was the next to get a four-pointer after he streamed away on the left wing from another Dufty pass.

The icing on the cake for the Wolves whomping was Rodrick Tai. The hosts swung the ball to the right and the winger strolled over.

Warrington Wolves 48 Huddersfield Giants 0
Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

Date: Fri, 5th July.   Kickoff: 8:00 PM.   Halftime: Warrington 18-0.   Referee: Jack Smith.   Crowd: 9,760.

Warrington: Dufty, Tai, Wrench, Ratchford, King; Williams (C), Drinkwater; Harrison, Walker, Vaughan, Nicholson, Fitzgibbon, Currie. Int: Musgrove, Holroyd, Powell, Whitehead.
Huddersfield: Connor, McGowan, Halsall, Bibby, Wallis; Lolohea, Clune; Ikahihifo, Milner, Greenwood, Rushton, Livett, Yates (C). Int: Deakin, Wilson, Savelio, Salabio, Billington.

Warrington Wolves (48)
Tries: Stefan Ratchford, Josh Drinkwater, Paul Vaughan, Toby King, Matt Dufty, Connor Wrench, Matthew Nicholson, Rodrick Tai
Goals: Stefan Ratchford 8/8

Huddersfield Giants (0)

Rhinos grind out win against lowly Broncos

Leeds Rhinos fought back to win 17-16 against London Broncos at AMT Headingley Stadium on Saturday night.

The Broncos had a galloping start after a long range try which ended with debutant Josh Rourke slicing through.

Leeds responded with a four-pointer of their own. It was a simple backline move that saw Ash Handley stroll over.

The visitors hit the lead with some fabulous football. A superb flick pass opened up space for Paul Momirovski to make it 10-6.

London took a lead just before half-time with a pair of scores. Rhys Kennedy burrowed over then Iliess Macani dived over in the corner.

Rhyse Martin levelled things up for Leeds Rhinos after the forward steamed onto a ball and weaved his way to the line.

James Meadows had a shot at field goal which falconed his own team mate then Brodie Croft had one charged down to sent the game into extra time.

It was the Rhinos who took the win in extra time. Croft drilled a field goal to make it 17-16 for the hosts.

Leeds Rhinos 17 London Broncos 16
Venue: AMT Headingley Stadium, Leeds

Date: Sat, 6th July.   Kickoff: 3:00 PM.   Halftime: London 16-10.   Penalties: London 5-3.   Referee: Marcus Griffiths.   Crowd: 12,958.

Leeds: Miller, Fusitu'a, Momirovski, Newman, Handley; Croft, Frawley; Oledzki, O'Connor, Goudemand, McDonnell, Martin, Smith (C). Int: Ackers, Lisone, Eseh, Sangaré.
London: Rourke, Kershaw, Bassett, Storey, Macani; Leyland, Meadows; Kennedy, Davis, Bienek, Lovell (C), Adebiyi, Jones. Int: Tison, Williams, Natoli, Stock.

Leeds Rhinos (17)
Tries: Ash Handley, Rhyse Martin, Paul Momirovski
Goals: Rhyse Martin 2/4
Field Goals: Brodie Croft 1

London Broncos (16)
Tries: Iliess Macani, Rhys Kennedy, Josh Rourke
Goals: Oliver Leyland 2/3

Dragons hold off fast finishing Hull KR

Catalan Dragons won 15-14 against Hull KR in their game at Sewell Group Craven Park on Saturday afternoon.

The Dragons got off to a hot start trying to become only the second time to win at Craven Park in the 2024 season.

Alrix Da Costa ducked between the Hull KR defenders to scoot over for Catalan Dragons to make it 6-0.

A high tackle close to the line allowed the Dragons to stretch their advantage to eight. Arthur Mourgue piloted the kick over.

It was all Catalan in the first half. Theo Fages weaved through the Hull KR defence before he slung it to Tom Johnstone to go over.

Hull KR needed a response early in the second half. They gave the ball air on the left and Jack Broadbent finished off the move.

Next, Hull KR went to their right to get over the line. The ball ended up Joe Burgess who shrugged off a defender and scored to bring it back to 14-12.

They levelled up the game with ten remaining. Jordan Abdull didn't make the distance from a dropout and Mikey Lewis kicked the goal for Hull KR.

Hull KR had Craven Park rocking while the Dragons were reeling after giving up a 14-point lead but neither side could break the deadlock in regulation, so we're off to Golden Point.

Catalan Dragons extinguished the comeback late in Golden Point. Theo Fages piloted over the field goal for a 15-14 win where all the points were scored at the north end.

Hull KR 14 Catalans Dragons 15
Venue: Sewell Group Craven Park, Hull

Date: Sat, 6th July.   Kickoff: 5:30 PM.   Halftime: Catalans 14-0.   Penalties: Catalans 3-2.   Referee: Liam Moore.   

Hull KR: Evalds, Burgess, Hiku, Broadbent, Hall; May, Lewis (C); Sue, Litten, King, Hadley, Tanginoa, Whitbread. Int: Minchella, Parcell, Luckley, Storton.
Catalans: Mourgue, Davies, Ikuvalu, Romano, Johnstone; Fages, Abdull; Navarrete, Da Costa, Bousquet, Sims, Sironen, Garcia (C). Int: Séguier, Rougé, Dezaria, Satae.

Hull Kingston Rovers (14)
Tries: Joe Burgess, Jack Broadbent
Goals: Mikey Lewis 3/3

Catalans Dragons (15)
Tries: Tom Johnstone, Alrix Da Costa
Goals: Arthur Mourgue 3/3
Field Goals: Théo Fages 1

Red Devils celebrate Sneyd's milestone with win

Salford Red Devils won 22-20 against relegation threatened Hull FC at Salford Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Red Devils made it a winning milestone for Marc Sneyd who passed 300 appearances in Super League.

They were the first on the scoresheet. It was swift hands on the left which ended with Deon Cross going over in the corner.

Hull FC struck back from a simple scrum play on the half hour mark. Ben Reynolds sliced through the line to make it 6-4 for the visitors.

Salford tied the game up right on the break after Sneyd chipped through and one of the chaser's was taken out by Tom Briscoe who was sin binned.

The milestone man stepped up to raise the flags after the siren as the two sides went into the break at 6-6.

The hosts took advantage of the man advantage after the break. A high kick was plucked out of the air by Ryan Brierley to touch down.

Salford made it 18-6 in the blitz after the break. They kept the ball alive on the right and Chris Hankinson went over for the four-pointer.

Hull FC worked their way back into the contest through Denive Balmforth scurrying over from dummy half after a check from the video referee.

The hosts stretched their lead twice in the second half from the tee. Sneyd piloted through a pair of penalty goals for five goals on Sunday.

The visitors kept working their work back into the contest. Jordan Lane scored from a kick then Lewis Martin dived over in the corner to bring them within two.

This set up for Reynolds to send the game to Golden Point. The five-eighth studied the kick but couldn't bend it between the posts and Salford took the points.

Salford Red Devils 22 Hull FC 20
Venue: Salford Stadium, Barton-upon-Irwell

Date: Sun, 7th July.   Kickoff: 3:00 PM.   Halftime: 6-all.   Penalties: Salford 8-3.   Referee: Chris Kendall.   Crowd: 3,910.

Salford: Brierley, Ryan, Watkins (C), Hankinson, Cross; Atkin, Sneyd; Singleton, Mellor, Lewis, Wright, Stone, Partington. Int: Bourouh, Vuniyayawa, Shorrocks, Dudson.
Hull FC: Moy, Briscoe, Tuimavave, Sutcliffe, Martin; Trueman, Reynolds; Ese'ese, Houghton (C), Aydin, Kirby, Lane, Sao. Int: Fash, Gardiner, Balmforth, Chan.

Salford Red Devils (22)
Tries: Deon Cross, Ryan Brierley, Chris Hankinson
Goals: Marc Sneyd 5/6

Hull FC (20)
Tries: Ben Reynolds, Denive Balmforth, Jordan Lane, Lewis Martin
Goals: Ben Reynolds 2/4

Round 16 table

2St Helens161105025922
4Hull KR161105018122
11Hull FC1620140-2784

RELATED: Click here to view the current Betfred Super League table.

RLP stats leaders

Most tries
Rank Player Team P T
1 Liam Marshall Wigan 14 17
2 Ash Handley Leeds 13 12
=3 Adam Swift Huddersfield 10 11
=3 Bevan French Wigan 14 11
=3 Matt Dufty Warrington 15 11
=3 Jack Welsby St Helens 16 11
=3 Innes Senior Castleford 16 11
=3 Peta Hiku Hull KR 16 11
Most goals
Rank Player Team P G/A %
1 Marc Sneyd Salford 16 55 / 64 86%
2 Mark Percival St Helens 14 50 / 64 78%
=3 Arthur Mourgue Catalans 15 47 / 54 87%
=3 Rhyse Martin Leeds 16 47 / 57 82%
=5 Matt Moylan Leigh 15 37 / 49 76%
=5 Mikey Lewis Hull KR 15 37 / 49 76%
Most points
Rank Player Team P T G FG Pts
1 Marc Sneyd Salford 16 2 55 3 121
2 Mark Percival St Helens 14 5 50 - 120
=3 Arthur Mourgue Catalans 15 4 47 - 110
=3 Rhyse Martin Leeds 16 4 47 - 110
5 Mikey Lewis Hull KR 15 7 37 - 102
=6 Josh Thewlis Warrington 12 8 29 - 90
=6 Matt Moylan Leigh 15 4 37 - 90