Engage Super League Round 12 Review

Engage Super League XV Round 12 review by Simon Reuben

Hull FC 12
Tries: Whiting 2
Goals: Hall 2

Wakefield Wildcats 8
Tries: Millard, Blanch

Att: 11,160

Hull FC got back to winning ways by ground out a result over Wakefield Wildcats at KC Stadium. Both teams came into this game low on confidence after being knocked out of the Challenge cup last week. Hull, who were missing seven key players, fell behind as a Ben Jeffries high kick led to Daryl Millard scoring out wide.

On the back of a number of penalties the Black and Whites got themselves back into the game as good play from Jordan Tansey sent Richard Whiting underneath the posts. Just before the break Hull took the lead when Whiting jumped high above Luke George to score in the corner. Craig Hall kicked the conversion from the touchline as the hosts went into the interval 12-8 in front.

Wakefield had most of the possession in the second half but Hull's strong defence kept them out until on 79-minutes Damien Blanch broke the deadlock. Wakefield declined the kick at goal as they went in search of the win. This Victory for the Black and Whites ended a run of three straight defeats, including back-to-back losses to Leeds in league and cup, while the Wildcats have now lost four in a row.

Wigan Warriors 26
Tries: Farrell 2, Phelps, Tomkins
Goals: Richards 5

Harlequins RL 38
Tries: Howell, Dorn 2, Sharp, Purdham, Randall
Goals: Orr 7

Att: 18,605

Bottom of the table Harlequins RL stunned league leaders Wigan Warriors by turning round a huge first half deficit to claim the win at DW Stadium. Wigan were missing some key players and Quins welcomed back Luke Dorn and they silenced the big crowd when Will Sharp palmed Danny Orr's high kick to David Howell for the game's opening score.

The Warriors hit back and went on to dominate the first half. 17-year old teenager Liam Farrell help himself to a double with Cameron Phelps and Sam Tomkins also getting on the score-sheet as the hosts took a commanding 24-6 lead into the break. In the first ten minutes of the second half Quins responded superbly led by Dorn who sliced through the Wigan defence twice to score as the visitors cut the gap to 24-18. Pat Richards added a penalty to give the Warriors an eight point lead.

However, in the last quarter of the game the Londoners cut loose and ran in three scored to snatch an unlikely win. Sharp collected Danny Orr's kick to narrow the lead before skipper Rob Purdham and hooker Chad Randall both went over to claim only Quins