engage Super League Round 4 Review

Harlequins RL 10
Tries:    Pryce, Melling
Goals:   Purdham

Huddersfield Giants 18
Tries:    O'Donnell, McGilvary, Horne
Goals:   Brough 3

Att:    2,624

Huddersfield Giants ended Harlequins' unbeaten start to the season with a hard fought win at Twickenham Stoop.

Coming into this game as league leaders, Quins were put on the back-foot from the start as Huddersfield built up the pressure. They had two tries chalked off by the video referee and then paid the price - Quins got the ball at the other end and a neat pass from Rob Purdham sent Karl Pryce in at the corner.

The Giants found some composure and ex-Cowboy Luke O'Donnell opened his account for his new team as the visitors took the lead 6-4.

Jermaine McGillvary increased the lead to 12-6 at the break as he took Kevin Brown's long pass to score out wide.

Huddersfield continued where they left off and they stretched their advantage to 18-6 as Brown and David Faiumu combined to put Graham Horne over at the start of the second half.

Once again the Giants missed chances to put the game to bed and in the last ten minutes of the game the Londoners cut the gap with a Chris Melling try, but it was not enough as Coach Rob Powell suffered his first defeat.

Hull FC 42
Tries:    Horne, Yeaman, Sharp, Tickle 2, Obst, T Briscoe, Whiting
Goals:   Tickle 4, Westerman

Crusaders 18
Tries:    Sammut, R Williams 2
Goals:   Schifcofske 3

Att:    10,422

Hull FC ended their run of six successive defeats with a comprehensive eight try win over Crusaders at KC Stadium.

Desperately needing a win the Black and Whites took 15 minutes to get into the game and they opened the scoring after Craig Fitzgibbon poked the ball forward for Danny Tickle to pick up his first try of the season.

Richard Whiting took Danny Houghton's pass as Hull doubled their lead and they made it 16-0 at the interval as Tickle scored his second of the game.

Two minutes into the second half, new signing Sam Obst opened his account for Hull and moments later Will Sharp added another as the game was pretty much all over as a contest.

Richard Horne scored a good try on his first appearance before on loan Warrington winger Rhys Williams finally got Crusaders on the scoreboard.

Yeaman added the hosts seventh try of the night from dummy half, only for Jarrod Sammut to ghost his way over the line.

In the last ten minutes Williams added his second of the match but Tom Briscoe ensured a big Hull win with the final try of the night, as the pressure was lifted off Coach Richard Agar.

Salford City Reds 16
Tries:    Parker, Gibson, Nero
Goals:   Ratchford, Sneyd

Wigan Warriors 32
Tries:    Hansen, Goulding, Charnley, Mossop, Leuluai 2
Goals:   Deacon 4

Att:    6,266

Wigan Warriors got back on track as they ran out comfortable winners over Salford City Reds at The Willows.

After suffering defeat to the St George Illawarra Dragons in last week's World Club Challenge, the Warriors put that to the back of their minds as they took an early lead thanks to Harrison Hansen's try.

Kiwi halfback Thomas Leuluai made it 10-0 as he spun out of the tackle to score. The City Reds finally got some possession and they cut the deficit with a try from Ashley Gibson after good work from Matty Smith and Luke Patten.

Lee Mossop was gifted a try for the Warriors as Paul Deacon's kick bounced off a Salford defender into his arms. The gap was cut to 16-12 at the break as Rob Parker went over from dummy half.

The Warriors made sure of the win by adding two early second half tries. Leuluai jinked his way over for his second and youngster Josh Charnley finished off a flowing move.

Salford did not throw the towel in and cut the gap with a Chris Nero try, but Wigan then had the final say when a break out of defence by Sam Tomkins set up the position for winger Darrell Goulding to go over for his side's sixth try just before the end.

Catalan Dragons 16
Tries:    Sa, Menzies, Dureau
Goals:   Dureau 2

St Helens 22
Tries:    Flannery, Gardner, Graham, Moore
Goals:   Eastmond 3

Att:    7,095

St Helens withstood a Catalan Dragons fight-back to secure a win in Perpignan.

Coming off last week's loss Saints drew first blood as Chris Flannery opened the scoring early on. Leon Pryce limped off the field in his first appearance of the season, but the visitors did not let this effect them as Ade Gardner raced for the second try of the game.

However, Gardner failed to deal with Scott Dureau's high kick and Setaimata Sa was on hand to get the Dragons into the game.

James Graham made it 16-4 at the break as he scored underneath the posts. Early into the second half Scott Moore finished off a five man move to give St Helens a big advantage.

Catalan reduced the gap when another Dureau kick was palmed back by Damien Blanch for Steve Menzies to score and with two minutes to go Dureau set up a grandstand finish by scoring beneath the posts.

Saints withstood the late pressure and held on to claim the two points.

Warrington Wolves 40
Tries:    Evans, Briers, Myler, Riley, Grix, J Monaghan, Higham
Goals:   Hodgson 6

Leeds Rhinos 24
Tries:    Watkins, Hall 2, Webb
Goals:   Sinfield 4

Att:    11,438

Warrington Wolves made it three in a row as they capitalised on the Leeds Rhinos errors to run out winners at H.J. Stadium.

In their first meeting since last August's Challenge Cup Final in which Warrington ran out easy winners over Leeds Rhinos, the visitors weathered the early Wolves storm and opened the scoring after Kevin Sinfield and Lee Smith exchanged passes to send Kallum Watkins in. Sinfield made it 8-0 with a penalty goal.

Warrington punished Leeds' handling errors and took control in the second quarter. Teenager Rhys Evans scored a try on his debut and Lee Briers intercepted a Weller Hauraki pass to race away.

A brilliant team move was finished off by Richard Myler and on the half time hooter Chris Riley beat the cover to touchdown in the corner after Ryan Hall spilled the ball as the Wolves made it 22-8.

Early in the second half Simon Grix effectively won the game for the hosts as he wrong-footed the defence. Joe Monaghan made it even better for Warrington has he scored his side's sixth try of the game to make it 34-8.

Fullback Brent Webb reduced the deficit by latching on to Sinfield's kick and another followed moments later from Ryan Hall. But 12 minutes from time Mickey Higham raced in from dummy half to confirm a home win.

Leeds did have the final say of the game with a consolation try for Hall, his second of the game.

Bradford Bulls 40
Tries:    Royston 2, Ainscough, Kopczak 3, Olbison
Goals:   Ah Van 6

Wakefield Wildcats 18
Tries:    George, Hyde, Mariano
Goals:   Veivers 3

Att:    12,835

Bradford Bulls eased past strugglers Wakefield Wildcats at Odsal.

The Wildcats made a good start and after forcing a goal line drop out Tommy Lee found Frankie Mariano who powered his way over to open the scoring.

Bradford got on terms as Tom Olbison burst through and they took the lead after good inter-passing led to Shad Royston touching down.

Craig Kopczak helped himself to a brace as the Bulls took control by leading 24-6 at the interval.

Wakefield wasted some chances early into the second half and a mistake by Luke George was seized on by Royston who scored his second of the game.

In the last quarter of the game a brilliant length of the field run by Josh Griffin set up George as the Wildcats cut the deficit.

However, the game was all over as Shaun Ainscough went in after good work by Marc Herbert and on 73 minutes Kopczak put the icing on the cake by completing his hat-trick.

Ex-Bull Kieran Hyde did mange a last second consolation but it was not Wakefield's day as the Bulls made it two wins on the bounce.

Castleford Tigers 27
Tries:    Holmes, Dixon, Clark, Youngquest
Goals:   Dixon 5
Drop Goal: Chase

Hull KR 14
Tries:    Hall, Newton, Galea
Goals:   Hall

Att:    8,537

Castleford Tigers moved top of the table by coming from behind to defeat Hull KR at Probiz Coliseum.

On five minutes a Rangi Chase grubber kick was seized on by youngster Oliver Holmes as the Tigers took an early lead.

Clint Newton made the most of a Richard Mathers mistake to level the game up. Blake Green then set up Craig Hall as the visitors took the lead.

Ben Galea made it 14-6 as he crossed from close range. Nick Youngquest cut the gap as he touchdown minutes before the halftime hooter.

Two minutes into the second period teenage hooker Daryl Clark got over the line as the Tigers began to take control.

In the last ten minutes Castleford made sure of the win with a try and two goals from Kirk Dixon.

Chase ended the scoring with a last minute drop-goal as the Tigers remain the only team in Super League with a 100% record.