Queensland Cup - Round 10 -

Burleigh retained a share of fifth spot on the Queensland Cup ladder with a 26-16 win over Easts in a high quality ABC Television match at Langlands Park. The Tigers were first to score after 15 minutes when fullback Wade Liddell crossed after a Scott Thorburn bomb was not handled by the Bears. Five minutes later the scores were level at 6 all with Burleigh second row Stan Berryman crashing over after a set move.

Another kick, from back rower Mark Leafa, at the 30 minute mark led to Easts second try through Steve Beattie and a handy 12-6 advantage. The Bears however hit back straight away with a great try to halfback Brent McConnell and when fullback Trent Purdon crossed on half-time Burleigh were in front 14-10 at the break.

Tremendous defence was the feature of the second half before a try to Easts centre Ross Sammut put the home side in front 16-14 at the sixty minute mark. Hooker Ryan Dagwell scored a controversial try to regain the lead for the Bears at 20-16 before a strong try to veteran winger Aseri Laing with only 5 minutes on the clock sealed a Burleigh win, and maintained the television ?hoodoo? for home teams. Big Bears prop Shane O?Flanagan was named QRL man of the match.

Ipswich got off to a flying start against Wynnum at Kougari Oval before being overpowered 44-18. The Jets notched early tries to hooker Jamie Tomlinson and the elusive Ricky Bird to lead 12-0 after only ten minutes. Tries to hooker Royce Simms and five eight Damien Quinn saw Wynnum narrow the gap to 12-10 before Bird?s second try extended Ipswich?s lead to 18-10 after thirty minutes. A late try to winger Scott Marks saw the scoreline 18-14 at half-time before Marks crossed for his second a minute after the break, following a mistake from Ipswich fullback Darren Robinson, and the Seagulls led 20-18. A try to Cameron Durnford extended this margin to 26-18 after 55 minutes and then Wynnum raced in a further three tries through centre John Bruce, a double, and fullback David Seage to embarrass the Jets.

Tweed Heads kept pace with Wynnum on top of the table with a gutsy 28-26 win over Toowoomba at Piggabeen Complex. The Seagulls established a handy 18-4 lead in the first half and then had to withstand a spirited fightback by the Clydesdales in the second half, with halfback Scott Prince prominent. Both teams crossed for five tries with the goal kicking of Tweed Heads winger Nathaniel Barnes (3) and lock forward Jeremy Smith providing the difference.

North Queensland had a good 48-22 win over Souths Logan at Davies Park. Five eight Michael Meigan crossed for two of the Young Guns 9 tries with Magpies fullback Rick Dodd continuing his good form to notch a double and also kick three goals.

The Comets were made to fight all the way for their 28-25 win over Wests at Browne Park. Five eight Jade Wogand and Lewis Williams both scored doubles for the Comets, with Panthers five eight Tim Gee contributing 16 points (2 tries, 4 goals) for the visitors.

Redcliffe proved too good for Norths winning 38-10 at Bishop Park. Fullback Dustin Cooper and hooker Matt Anderton secured doubles for the Dolphins with Devils hooker Brett Finn notching both of his team?s tries.