Stobart Super League Round 14 Review

Stobart Super League XVII Round 14 review by Simon Reuben

Wigan Warriors moved clear at the top of Stobart Super League with a big win over former leaders Huddersfield Giants at a damp Galpharm Stadium.

It was the battle of the top two as league Leaders Huddersfield Giants looked to make it a season double over second place Wigan.

The visitors were below strength up front after losing prop forwards Paul Prescott and Epalahame Lauaki to injury.

Huddersfield  made a good start and should have taken the lead as Scott Grix gathered Danny Brough's chip over the Warriors defence to get centre Leroy Cudjoe away but the final pass to Jermaine McGillvary went astray.

On 14-minutes Luke Robinson's dart from dummy-half caught the Warriors by surprise and Cudjoe's quick pass gave McGillvary the chance as he slid in at the corner. Danny Brough added a touchline conversion to make it 6-0.

But, Wigan showed their brilliant attacking flair as they turned the game around with three unanswered tries in the second quarter to lead 12-6 at the interval.

Quick hands from saw the ball swiftly move across the field and Darrell Goulding got Josh Charnley over for his first before Sam Tomkins brushed off Grix's attempted tackle to touch down.

Charnley missed a chance by fumbling Sean O'Loughlin's ankle-high pass four minutes before the interval but he quickly made amends by taking Goulding's pass to slide over for his second try. Unfortunately Charnley, who was deputising for the injured Pat Richards, was having an off day with the boot as he missed all three conversion attempts.

Huddersfield came out strongly after the break and drew level six minutes into the second half. There seemed nothing on when full-back Greg Eden took Grix's inside pass but he stepped through the Wigan defence to score underneath the posts. Brough added the simple goal.

Eden went from hero to villain in the space of four minutes when he dropped Brett Finch's kick, gifting George Carmont the easiest try of the season.

Suddenly the Warriors began to up the tempo and took the game away from the Giants.  Liam Farrell fended off Kevin Brown to score his sides