Warriors back to their winning

Wigan got their season back on track at the Halton Stadium with a hard working performance against a gritty Widnes side. Three quick tries mid way through the second period changed the game around as the Warriors found themselves too strong for the home side.

Widnes took the lead on 6 minutes, Gary Connolly sending the ball wide and winger Stephen Rowlands was able cut inside for the first try of the game, Rowlands himself converted and the Vikings led 6-0. A penalty five minutes later extended the homes side advantage to 8-0.

Wigan responded on 16 minutes, Bob Beswick sent in from a short Terry Newton pass and Tickle added a fairly simple conversion to make it 8-6, Beswick's first try in the first team.

A Rowlands penalty made it 10-6, Terry Newton penalised.

On 29 minutes Wigan came up with a great try, on the final tackle Dennis Moran put up a clever and well timed cross kick and Martin Aspinwall was able to gather on the full to level the game at 10 all, this time Tickle failed to convert from out wide.

17 year old Joel Tomkins was given his chance when Danny Orr was forced off with a shoulder injury just before half time.Wigan sneaked ahead in the final moments as former player Mark Smith was pulled out by the referee for a high tackle on Wayne Godwin, Tickle made it 10-12 at the interval.

Just four minutes into the second half Widnes scored their second try of the afternoon, Owen Craigie and Jon Whittle combining to send in Simon Finnigan, Rowlands missed a difficult conversion 14-12. The Warriors missed the chance to draw level on 47 minutes, Wigan opting to play for a try when an easy penalty shot at goal was available.

Widnes were in again on 51 as Craigie kicked through on the sixth tackle, Gary Hulse took the ball on the bounce and off loaded out wide and Andrew Emelio made the score 18-12. A Rowlands penalty made it 20-12 as Kevin Brown was penalised.

Three tries in eight minutes turned the game around the Warriors hauled themselves back into it as Terry Newton burrowed his way over from close range on 64 minutes and with Tickle adding the conversion Wigan found themselves just two points adrift 20-18.

On the next attack the cherry and whites had scored their fourth try and their second in two minutes, Moran stabbing the ball through and Kevin Brown taking advantage, the extras were added. On 72 Brown was in again, this time Bob Beswick finding a gap in the tiring Widnes defence as Wigan hit a rich vein of scoring form. Danny Tickle added a further two points from a penalty on the hooter and Wigan had come away with a 20-32 win.

Wigan Warriors: Kris Radlinski, Martin Aspinwall, Kevin Brown, David Vaealiki, Brett Dallas, Danny Orr, Dennis Moran, Jerry Seuseu, Terry Newton, Jerome Guisset, Bob Beswick, Danny Tickle, Sean O'Loughlin Subs: Stephen Wild, Wayne Godwin, Danny Sculthorpe, Joel Tomkins

Tries: Martin Aspinwall, Kevin Brown(2), Terry Newton, Bob Beswick Goals: Danny Tickle(6)

Widnes Vikings: Connolly, Emelio, Moule, Whittle, Rowlands, Craigie, Hulse, O'Connor, Millard, O'Neil, Cassidy, Finnigan, Frame Subs: Whittaker, Fa'alogo, Smith, Stankevitch

Tries: Andrew Emelio, Simon Finnigan, Stephen Rowlands Stephen Rowlands (4)