Full Time
3:00pm Sat July 13, 2019
Round 17 - Accor Stadium - Crowd: 13434

Match Overview

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have snapped a four-game losing streak with a hard-fought 21-20 win over the Manly Sea Eagles at ANZ Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Goalkicking proved the difference between the two sides with the Sea Eagles running in four tries to three.

Adam Reynolds slotted four goals to Reuben Garrick's two and also nailed the game-winning field goal.

It capped off an impressive display from the South Sydney halfback who finished the game with two try-assists and 423 kicking metres.

His opposite Daly Cherry-Evans was excellent as always backing up from Wednesday's State of Origin decider, setting up three tries and building pressure with a pinpoint short-range kicking game.

Fellow Origin representative Jake Trbojevic continues to prove himself the most tireless middle forward in the competition, playing the entire eighty minutes with over 160 running metres and 47 tackles.

Their efforts weren't enough though as Manly fell to a 18-6 half-time deficit against a perfect South Sydney side who didn't make a single mistake in the first half.

The Rabbitohs took the early lead through a Reynolds penalty goal before a bizarre turn of play saw Manly strike for the first try of the game.

It came after Moses Suli appeared to knock the ball on in the lead-up to Cade Cust slicing over next to the posts. To their credit, the Sea Eagles played to the whistle and took full advantage as a host of spectacular offloads ended with Cust being awarded the controversial try.

Ill-discipline hurt Manly early, who conceded five-straight penalties in the opening 30 minutes. And the pressure eventually told as Dean Britt steamed through off a lovely short ball from Reynolds.

The South Sydney halfback was impressive all afternoon and had another try-assist five minutes later, this time throwing a looping ball for Dane Gagai to dive over in the corner.

Benefiting from a perfect completion rate in the first forty, the Rabbitohs pushed further ahead when Campbell Graham surged over in the dying stages of the half.

It was only fitting that their first two errors of the game led to points in both occasions.

The first from Braidon Burns handed Manly a full set on the South Sydney line and they immediately capitalised as Curtis Sironen charged over off a short ball from Cherry-Evans.

A wayward pass from Damien Cook was then pounced on by Suli who raced away for Manly's third of the afternoon.

Goalkicking was all that separated the two sides as Reynolds opted for another penalty goal to extend South Sydney's lead to six.

The Sea Eagles looked to have locked things up when Cust stepped through but the ball was forced out late by Gagai in a desperate attempt at tackle.

Sironen was another shining light for the Sea Eagles, managing 196 running metres, seven tackle busts and a try.

And a barnstorming run from the 25-year old paved the way for Manly to lock things up.

Joel Thompson pounced on a tricky grubber from Cherry-Evans to set up a grandstand finish.

In the end, it was a Reynolds field goal that separated the two sides.

Next week the Rabbitohs will look to build on Saturday's win against the Cowboys while Manly host Parramatta.

3. Jake Trbojevic

Plenty of hard-working forwards in contention here but 47 tackles and over 160 running metres are seriously impressive numbers for someone backing up from 80 minutes of quality on Wednesday night.

2. Daly Cherry-Evans

DCE had the game on a string with his kicking game and ended with three try-assists to his name. Just beats out Curtis Sironen here.

1. Adam Reynolds

Despite kicking the match-winning field goal, DCE was slightly better over the eighty minutes. But Reynolds was impressive nonetheless, setting up two tries and providing a calming influence.