Sea Eagles thrash Roosters to book Preliminary Final next week

Embed from Getty Images
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters

Manly has bounced back to book a Preliminary Final with the Rabbitohs next week, after thrashing the Roosters 42-6 at BB Print Stadium in Mackay tonight. 

It was the usual suspects who delivered for Manly with Daly Cherry-Evans scoring a try and setting up two more in the first half, while superstar fullback Tom Trbojevic crashed over for 2 tries in yet another superb performance from the Dally M Medal favourite. 

The Roosters were never in the match, with the Sea Eagles running in four first half tries to blow away the Tricolours early and put them in a mouth-watering match up with the Rabbitohs next weekend. 

Coming into the match the biggest question the Roosters needed to answer was how to stop Manly superman Tom Trbojevic. The search for his kryptonite continued early for the Roosters, when after just six minutes the Manly #1 found some space off a Daly Cherry-Evans pass as he crashed over for the first try of the night. 

Manly's start was ramped up to electric when this time Jake Trbojevic held up a lovely pass at the line for his brother Tom, who strolled through the defensive line to draw and pass for Kieran Foran who scored under the posts for Manly to lead 12-0 in as many minutes. 

The Sea Eagles continued to chase the hand on the clock when Daly Cherry-Evans at first receiver from the scrum then threw a dummy and darted through to score under the posts and it was looking like an ugly night developing for Trent Robinson's men. 

The Roosters desperately needed to hit back if they were to stay in the game and they did so, as skipper James Tedesco collected the ball wide to put his winger Matt Ikuvalu over in the corner to get the Tricolours on the board. 

Cherry-Evans then pulled his side further ahead  when the Queensland halfback spotted a gap on the blind side and put speedster Jason Saab away down the left wing. Saab then looked inside and found his centre Morgan Harper who scored beside the posts to give the Sea Eagles a commanding 24-4 lead before halftime.

Just as the siren sounded, Sydney were then awarded a penalty after Tedesco was taken off the ball on suspicion by Manly prop Martin Taupau. The Roosters elected to take penalty goal on offer through Adam Keighran to keep them just in touch by 24-6 at the break. 

The Sea Eagles however picked up where they left off in the Second Half, when Jake Trbojevic strolled through a big gap and found super sub Dylan Walker who was brought down just metres from the line. Off the ensuing play it was the familiar sight of Tom Trbojevic who charged at the defensive line to crash over for his second try. 

Minutes later Dylan Walker then split the Roosters defence wide open and then dummied his way past Tedesco to score under the posts and extend the lead to 36-6 and put his side on a collision course with his former club South Sydney next week. 

Wisely coach Des Hasler then elected to put the Ferrari back in the garage, when Tom Trbojevic left the field. The game was then put to bed moments later, when centre Morgan Harper collected a kick inside his own half. The former Bulldog then produced an offload out the back to put his winger Jason Saab away down the touch line to give Manly a commanding 42-6 win and put themselves one game away from a Grand Final.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 42 - Sydney Roosters 6

Venue: BB Print Stadium Mackay
Crowd: 5824
Halftime Score: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 24 Sydney Roosters 6 Players of the Match:
3 points - Daly Cherry-Evans
2 points - Tom Trbojevic
1 points - Jake Trbojevic

Tries: Tom Trbojevic (2), Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Morgan Harper, Dylan Walker, Jason Saab
Field Goals:
Two Point Field Goals:
Conversions: Reuben Garrick (7/7)
Penalty Goals:

Tries: Matt Ikuvalu
Field Goals:
Two Point Field Goals:
Conversions: Adam Keighran (0/1)
Penalty Goals: Adam Keighran (1/1)

See how it happened in our Match Centre